Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Conditioning for Powerifters (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7200)

big_swede 08-30-2011 11:58 AM

Conditioning for Powerifters

Quote:

All 3XL’s unite! Although I no longer carry the excess pounds that I once had, I know your pain and live with the scars. I also am safe knowing that while some other skinny writers scoff and criticize us, their four lift total (this is the squat, bench, deadlift, and squat…again) doesn’t even come close to our one lift total (pick any lift…even a curl).

While they point their bony, weak fingers, I offer an open Shrek-like palm and congratulate you. It’s not easy being big and strong. You are constantly called “Big Guy” and are always challenged to wing eating contests at Hooters. Things could be worse though. You could be weak and collect comic books.

But, let me offer this to you. You need to stay in some kind of condition and doing eight sets of two reps on the squat is not going to get you there. You need some lovin’ for the heart. So, as a tribute to all you big men, I give you this—the conditioning guide for powerlifters.
Conditioning For Powerlifters by Jim Wendler | Enhanced Fitness and Performance

BendtheBar 08-30-2011 12:18 PM

That is the one thing I really regret...not staying up on conditioning.

Carl1174 08-30-2011 12:23 PM

this made me laugh :D

Quote:

If you find yourself out of breath when walking through the buffet line, then this is probably something you’ll want to do
Steve, do you think if you had kept on top of your conditioning do you think you would have lifted more or less ?

Carl.

BendtheBar 08-30-2011 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl1174 (Post 166172)
this made me laugh :D

Steve, do you think if you had kept on top of your conditioning do you think you would have lifted more or less ?

Carl.

It would help during training. For example, when we did the 315 deadlift challenge for reps, my conditioning gave out before my strength. Conditioning should enable maximum effort. Lack of conditioning can inhibit it during training.

MC 08-30-2011 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 166175)
It would help during training. For example, when we did the 315 deadlift challenge for reps, my conditioning gave out before my strength. Conditioning should enable maximum effort. Lack of conditioning can inhibit it during training.

This makes sense. I have a friend in CA whose trainer has him doing treadmill work to get his heart rate at a certain point and keep it there for 40 minutes with the goal being so that he needs shorter rests between sets and exercises, so that they can get more done during their sessions than what happens currently.

BendtheBar 08-30-2011 12:54 PM

I plan on doing conditioning work on off days. I am going to start slow and build up. Might be a combo of kettlebell work, sand bag carries, along with some oddball form of HIIT to get my heart racing.

jwood 08-30-2011 01:39 PM

I think conditioning is very important, it keeps you stronger throughout your entire workout. It also keeps your body healthier which means you can work harder.

big_swede 08-30-2011 01:41 PM

Agreed, i think it improves overall health and energy levels throwout the day nevertheless what you do for a living.

Aurik 08-30-2011 02:47 PM

Well, I'm definitely adding in some conditioning into my program as well -- my CV conditioning level is pretty piss-poor right now. I'll be starting with a mile walk or so a few days a week and probably a mile swim a couple days a week; I really do like the feel of a nice low-intensity swim, as it helps work the shoulders through the whole ROM and is great for a cooldown, for me at least. I just rarely make the time to do it :D

Off Road 08-30-2011 02:54 PM

Conditioning also helps with recouperation between workouts. It will allow you to workout more days during the week.

I like what Iron Addict used to say...Hardgainers are guys in poor condition.