Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:10 AM   #1
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!
Default Does Westside work for RAW lifters?

Title says it all. Does it work? What changes need to be made?

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

1) Weak point training doesn't work if you're piss weak everywhere.

2) Heavy singles on rotating lifts put unneccesary strain on the joints, which can be avoided simply by rotating reps on the contested lifts.

3) The best raw and single ply lifters still do more traditional lifting. WSB is predominantly an american and internet phenomenom. It's a fad for most people and nothing more, just like HIT was 20 years ago, just like HG was after that.

4) Nothing beats basic work on the contested lifts. The genuinely strongest that ever lived, Coan, Confessore, Kazmaeir, Karworski, Hepburn, Anderson all got to where they were with heavy lifting on the contested lifts, cycled with poundage/reps and volume. Just because WSB is in fashion now doesn't mean it can discount what worked for those guys who were genuinely strong; not suited and pinned to the gills strong, but genuinely strong.

5) Pinning a fat guy with as many steroids as you can lay your hands on, while slingshotting aforementioned fat guy into a supertight triple ply suit. Then getting a contraption to walk the bar out for him, and the suit to do most of the lifting for him and then getting a judge to actually pass this travesty to the sport....

... is not everyones idea of being super strong.

Last edited by Fazc; 08-25-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
Isaku900
Wild Iron Gym
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,239, Level: 19 Points: 1,239, Level: 19 Points: 1,239, Level: 19
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 10+
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: Big 3
Isaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good posts

Becky Rich went from a 760 total to an 826 total at 132, then dropped a weight class and upped her total to 854.

using westside, raw, natural.

OMG!!!!!!!!! clearly doesn't work for a raw lifter.

She wrote an article about in Power.

if someone is piss weak they shouldn't be using advanced programming anyways.

Become a fan of Wild Iron Gym on Facebook:

Last edited by Isaku900; 08-25-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Isaku900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100

LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I'll say this for Westdie as a RAW lifter:

- Too many bench special exercises got me progress but I got weak at the bottom end. Shocker.
- Deadlifting less often and doing lots of posterior chain assistance has improved my deadlift.
- Heavy singles for max effort is not good for joints or for your psyche if you miss. Doubles and triples have generally worked better for me.

I probably have more to say but will come back to this later.

LtL
Old 08-25-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
Title says it all. Does it work? What changes need to be made?

LtL
First and foremost they need to understand that geared lifters train differently than raw lifters. Raw lifters don't have assistance in the hole or off the chest. They need to work assistance work/weaknesses accordingly.

Second, training heavy each weak is much easier if you're using even a minimal amount of support gear. I can't train bench press heavy more than once every 6-8 weeks raw any more. With a Sling Shot I am able to train it heavy every week and I feel no strains at all. A little support goes a long way - at least for me. This probably won't be as much of an issue for an intermediate who is still experience rapid progression. Mileage may vary.

Third, they need to stop lifting like they are training in gear. Don't jump to super wide stance squats without understanding what the heck you're doing, and how the gear helps the lifter.

The question for me is more about training level. Westside lifters are all advanced lifters who train in gear. I am not sold on it being the best approach for raw natural intermediates. As an intermediate I was still generally weak all over. I certainly had weaknesses, but I didn't always have the insight to truly understand what they were or if I was missing something.

Advanced lifters can train how they want to train....they know their bodies and limitations better than I do.

I am not discounting the fact that many things can be learned from Westside.

Certainly raw lifters make progress on it. Most hardcore lifters will progress on just about anything. But when lifting raw and edging closer to that advanced level, if you can lift heavy every week then go for it. I can't.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 08-25-2011 at 11:59 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
1) Weak point training doesn't work if you're piss weak everywhere.
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaku900 View Post
if someone is piss weak they shouldn't be using advanced programming anyways.
and this.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:40 PM   #7
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

I feel that it work for me. My injuries had nothing to do with WS training principals. If my r/c would stay healthy I feel that I would continue to be making gains....that is all.

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #8
ILoveLifting
Strength Fiend
Max Brawn
Points: 2,129, Level: 27 Points: 2,129, Level: 27 Points: 2,129, Level: 27
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Supp: New York Strips and V8
ILoveLifting is off to a bad start

Are we talking about a conjugate program working for raw lifters or are we talking about WSB's conjugate working for raw lifters?
ILoveLifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:59 AM   #9
hulkhires
Brawn
Points: 365, Level: 7 Points: 365, Level: 7 Points: 365, Level: 7
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 7
Fav Exercise: Squat and deadlift
hulkhires is new to the forumhulkhires is new to the forum

Westside principles work, just not the same movements as they use. I believe in a blend of old school principles and westside.

I wrote an article Hulk Training Systems: Raw Squat Adaptation It talks about using some of WS methods.
http://youtube.com/220pd4pd

Going Raw, is only dangerous in the bedroom.
hulkhires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:27 AM   #10
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn

Nice article Hulk and it pretty much agrees with what I've found: choose your exercises carefully, use added resistance/lightening methods sparingly and keep box height just below parallel.

LtL