Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:15 AM   #1
AthleteCreator
Trollin'
Uber Brawn
Points: 962, Level: 16 Points: 962, Level: 16 Points: 962, Level: 16
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

AthleteCreator is new to the forumAthleteCreator is new to the forum
Default HFT and 2-day split

Hey guys, as you can tell, I'm very new here (joined yesterday), but it really feels like there are guys (haven't seen any chics yet) here that both, get after it and know what the f*ck they're talking about. Cool place so far.

That said, I want you to know that I don't SPAM the boards just to promote my own website. I want you to know, because, well, new members to boards usually have to earn respect, and I AM about to post a link to my site. It's not because I'm a shameless self-promoter (well, not on message boards anyways), but I haven't gotten a lot of feedback on my site about it, and I AM looking for educated opinions.

Ok, enough of that "online community political correctness" bullshit. Here's my f*cking quesion...

I've got a powerlifting meet coming up this weekend and have been training 4 days/week (nothing unusual bout that). I'm currently a desk jockey trying to make a career change. Training takes up so much time that I haven't been able to focus on this career change. So, I wrote myself an HFT and 2-day split.

For only 2 days/week, I have some lofty goals, but I have confidence this is going to work. My goals are fat loss, maintain current strength, and develop a fuller chest. (I weigh 180 and can bench 300, but my chest still looks like a 12 year old's. Sad.)

The program is linked in a downloadable spreadsheet at the bottom of the page. As I said, I'm looking for agreements, criticism, suggestions....anything.

Thanks guys!!

Athlete Creator Get Jacked in only 2 Days per Week!

There is nothing "smart" about a 3rd attempt deadlift.
AthleteCreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2009, 08:35 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Links are OK here. I know many bodybuilding boards are anal. But seriously, I know you'll go where you want to go, and I can't keep you. I want this to be a community. I don't care if you share every blog post from your site. I really don't mind at all. That's what a community is all about.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:38 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I'm re-posting your info so I can better wrap my head around it

Lose Bodyfat
Increase Anaerobic Capacity
Only 2 Days in the Gym

Fitness Overview: I believe the client's "wants" and "needs" can easily be addressed through basic compound movements and HFT. During the two gym days, he will do full-body workouts, starting with Olympic lifts. Following those will be variations of bench, squat, and deadlift. Weight training will be held to 45 min. and highly intense. The HFT will consist of 100 push-ups, 25 pull-ups, 25 chin-ups, and 50 - 50lb. Sandbag squats every day. The HFT can be accomplished in any number of reps and sets throughout the day; however, the client requests that they be split up into morning and evening sessions. Lastly a high intensity sandbag cardio session will be performed at least 1 day during the weekend. The session will last 30 min.

Nutrition Overview: Because the emphasis is on fatloss, rather than overall weightloss, and strength levels must be maintained,carbohydrates will still be allowed in minimum quantities, mostly for breakfast and post-workout. Meals will consist of lean protein sources, green vegetables, and fruit (also in limited quantities). Between meal snacks should be held to a minimum, but if necessary, nuts, berries, hummus, beef jerky, etc. etc. are allowed. Lastly, client has been going batshit crazy due to lack of social life. Therefore, wine is permitted during theweek should the occasion arise, and one night on the town on the weekends are also permitted.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:38 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

HFT*: Gym: Day 1
Morning (Record time) Power Clean (5x5) - Bar Speed
Feet Elevated Push-ups 50 Bench (5/3/1)
Pull-ups 25 Wide Stance Box Squat (3x5)
50lb. Sandbag Squats 25 Chest Supported Rows (3x10)
Sandbag Russian Twists 25 1-leg DB RDL (3x8)
30 min. low intensity cardio
Evening (Record time)
Feet Elevated Push-ups 50

Day 2
Chin-ups 25 Snatch (5x5) - Bar Speed
50lb. Sandbag Squats 25 Sumo Deadlift (5/3/1)
Sandbag Woodchoppers 25 Standing BB Shoulder Press (3x8)
DB Bulgarian Split Squat (3x8)
* = Completed as fast as possible. Once reps of one exercise Inverted rows (3x10)
can be completed in only 1 set, weight may be added. 30 min. low intensity cardio

Old 09-17-2009, 08:42 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

My opinion...you are working all 3 lifts, so I can see you easily maintaining strength. I love brief workouts with elevated heart rates, so you get my thumbs up there.

Overall, while this style of routine isn't my forte, I can definitely see it working, and I can see you achieving your goals.

Will you be working the big 3 lifts are the beginning of each workout, or in the middle? I don't like deadlifts after the body is somewhat fatigued. That increases the risk/reward, IMHO.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:57 AM   #6
AthleteCreator
Trollin'
Uber Brawn
Points: 962, Level: 16 Points: 962, Level: 16 Points: 962, Level: 16
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

AthleteCreator is new to the forumAthleteCreator is new to the forum

I guess just posting the workouts here rather than making you download them makes more sense. Looks like you had some copy/paste issues so I'll redo it.

HFT (daily)*:
Morning (Record time)
Pull-ups 25
50lb. Sandbag Squats 25
Sandbag Russian Twists 25

Evening (Record time)
Chin-ups 25
50lb. Sandbag Squats 25
Sandbag Woodchoppers 25

* = Completed as fast as possible. Once reps of one exercise
can be completed in only 1 set, weight may be added.

Gym: Day 1
Power Clean (5x5) - Bar Speed
Bench (5/3/1)
Wide Stance Box Squat (3x5)
Chest Supported Rows (3x10)
1-leg DB RDL (3x8)

Day 2
Snatch (5x5) - Bar Speed
Sumo Deadlift (5/3/1)
Standing BB Shoulder Press (3x8)
DB Bulgarian Split Squat (3x8)
Inverted rows (3x10)

To address your concern...

I've got the O-lifts first to minimize risk of injury due to fatigue, and then one of the "the big 3" immediately after for reasons as you stated, maximize risk/reward and minimize risk of injury.

The supplemental stuff afterwards (using high reps) will utilize MUCH lighter weights.

Thanks for the confirmations so far!

There is nothing "smart" about a 3rd attempt deadlift.
AthleteCreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:36 AM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I see it more clearly now. I was thinking that deadlifts were 3-4 lifts in. I think a snatch and then a sumo is a solid plan. You will be nice and warmed up for sumos.

it does look like a solid workout. I would try it is I were younger