Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member
Default That lift is too hard to learn, so just don't do it.

Quote:
Dan John Quotes

"The Soviets did a study about the correlation between maximum Olympic lifts and assistance exercises. The first four lifts with “highest correlation” for helping on the competition platform were:

Power Clean
Power Snatch
Clean
Overhead Squat

An article on one of America’s lifting superstars once summarized his secret with this wonderful line: “through extensive work on the powerclean had laid the foundation for John Terpak’s versatile athletic success.”

The Russians noted in the 1970′s that, simply, “A lifter must do many power cleans and squats to succeed.”

I’m also convinced that power cleans are one of the “secrets” to gaining muscle weight."

Performing cleans is considered by many to be a great overall mass, and strength movement.

Performing cleans is considered to be a hard lift to learn so most people just write it off. It's too hard to teach so we'll just ignore it.

Benching has many benefits, but also has many issues that are not taken into account when performed as part of a program.

Most people bench with horrible form and don't really understand the movement, yet we just ignore this fact and keep saying, BENCH!

Seems like the attitude is, laying down and doing crappy work is preferred to getting up off your butt, and learning to do something right.

Then there's this article I found this morning on overhead pressing.

http://deansomerset.com/2011/05/31/t...ressing-sucks/

Last edited by glwanabe; 08-24-2011 at 12:29 PM.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post

Seems like the attitude is, laying down and doing crappy work is preferred to getting up off your butt, and learning to do something right.

Then there's this article I found this morning on overhead pressing.

Top Five Reasons Overhead Pressing Sucks | DeanSomerset.com
Bench is the ultimate draw for the lazy athlete. They can lay down, have someone hand them a bar, and if it's too heavy they can bounce and have their friends curl and row it up for them.

Regarding the article...

Insert shambling zombie...

Gackle, gackle, gackles, gurgle...OHP is bad! Blech, blech, sputter. It's not the bench overkill causing the problem, or lack of heavy back work. Gackle, gackle, gackles, gurgle.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Bill Starr would agree with the importance of the Power Clean. He actually used to program them first, before squats.
In the strongest shall survive, he basically says that if you can only do one lift, do power cleans.

And, based on my personal experience, power cleans were just as easy to learn as any other lift. I would say easier than some lifts because there is a low commitment level. If you screw up, you drop the weight, no harm no foul. You screw up on a bench press there is no where for the weight to go except down, on to you.
It takes a level of commitment to place a loaded barbell across your back and lower your body with the intention of hopefully coming back up.
Power clean, doesn't have that. You misfire, you ditch it. Simple as that.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:38 PM   #4
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Cleans aren't super hard to teach if 1. the teacher truly understand them and 2. they are actually with the person. Explaining it in writing is really tough. I've been doing cleans the whole time I've been training, since my introduction to lifting was on the freshman weightlifting team, and I agree that it's an amazing lift that can work a lot of your body.

Meh, I guess the person you're teaching has to have some degree of coordination as well. That can be 3.

If someone were to try to teach themself how to clean, I'd suggest the same thing I did while I was working on my own golf swing, whitch is to find sequence pictures online and try to replicate those positions. But once you learn to thrust the hips and rack the bar correctly, the rest is repetition and progression.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
austin.j.taylor
Fat, Pale, Weak
Max Brawn
Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Beer
austin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machine

"If you could only do one exercise, the best would be the power clean" -Bill Starr

Not only are powercleans awesome, nothing wears me out more at submaximal loads like a set of 3 powercleans does. One of my goals prior to the end of the year is to get 300 cleaned.
austin.j.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:09 PM   #6
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

gist of that article - if you are weak, then stay weak since getting stronger is hard work.
kitarpyar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #7
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Nice! So let's see what we have there:

1) Start off with a nice Strawman argument citing a supposedly real life example to connect to the reader.
2) Amusing picture to get the reader on side.
3) Unnecessary and inappropriately used mumbo jumbo, to wow aforementioned reader.
4) Instructional video with an abnormally HIGH level of 'fruity' overtones.
5) Catchphrase summary.

I do believe ladies and gentlemen ... this article has it all!
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #8
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
gist of that article - if you are weak, then stay weak since getting stronger is hard work.
There is so much good info in that article right up until the point where he avoids confronting the issue.

It's easier to avoid it, with less than optimal work.

NO THANK YOU!

I think I'll go out and do some shoulder work.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #9
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

I started to do the p/c and later the full clean when I allready was quite strong (compared to a raw beginner that is) and learnt them by doing a shitload of light reps, bar weight or 40-50kgs. It took some months to get it up to acceptable form but it was worth it. Awesome lifts that when i started, gave my big 3 more speed and power in a matter of weeks.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:25 PM   #10
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

It's fascinating how a few people decide that in order not to have to do a lift they will classify it as "hard/difficult", why can't they just say "I don't want to do it"; as others have said, it's not really that difficult to learn...watch vids, read, replicate, have people study your form and suggest tweaks...

...now, bicep curls, they're a whole new ball game