Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:57 PM   #11
Wlfdg
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 34
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Snatch
Fav Supp: Elk
Wlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
He actually used to program them first, before squats.
Cleans on fatiqued legs can be sketchy.
I feel like I can really fire the bar off my back if I clean before squatting.

As many know I have deep love affair with cleans of all kinds!

"There's no such thing as shaping and toning. Only stronger and weaker." -Mark Rippetoe
Wlfdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2011, 11:44 PM   #12
Pull14
Max Brawn
Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Pull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machine

Always enjoyed the simplicity and common sense approach to training Dan John presents.

Its also a breathe of fresh air when you have a group of guys like Somerset posting this nonsense. Drawing weak conclusions from weak arguments.

Robertson is well regarded for a reason...
T NATION | Long Live the Overhead Press
Pull14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:02 AM   #13
Wlfdg
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 34
Fav Exercise: Snatch
Fav Supp: Elk
Wlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good posts

Just got to read the Somerset article.
@Fazc - The post is awesome!

I liked the article.
I've also been a therapist for 20yrs. It speaks volumes to me beyond what is written.

"There's no such thing as shaping and toning. Only stronger and weaker." -Mark Rippetoe
Wlfdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #14
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

The clean is a pain but I am up to 70Kg woo hoo! It's hard and so is the Overhead Press, Squat and Deadlift. Think I'll do some arm curls instead, preferably in the squat rack.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:04 PM   #15
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Gl has taught me the value of cleans (pulls) before squats.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:05 PM   #16
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuytrider View Post
The clean is a pain but I am up to 70Kg woo hoo! It's hard and so is the Overhead Press, Squat and Deadlift. Think I'll do some arm curls instead, preferably in the squat rack.
That's a good number. I'm still working with 185 singles to get the feel for them.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:06 AM   #17
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Gl has taught me the value of cleans (pulls) before squats.
I think it was Tommy Kono who also advocated cleans before deads. The explosive pulling in the cleans (according to Kono) primed the CNS nicely for the heavier deads after that.

Interestingly, this is also a lift that Vince Gironda stressed so much on. Along with the chin ups to sternum, he incorporated cleans in the back workouts as the bread and butter lifts.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:40 AM   #18
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
That's a good number. I'm still working with 185 singles to get the feel for them.
Did it just last week. My form SUCKED for so long. In fact, it was just about the same as the video where Jim Wendler takes the piss out of bad form. I managed 65kg with that shocking form somehow. I knew it was terrible, changed it just last week and started doing some trebles and doubles thinking it would take weeks to get up to the 65+ mark. 50 felt good, then 55 then 60. So I said let's do 65 and boom, easy. 70 felt remarkable too so I tried 75 but I didn't have the same explosion as before and failed. Probably too tired after a lot of sets. Just dropped it and moved on. 75kg is definitely in my future though. Good luck today again!
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote