Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   First Powerlifting Meet Lift Plan (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7137)

BendtheBar 08-22-2011 12:55 PM

First Powerlifting Meet Lift Plan

Give me some feedback if anything's broken.

Lifting raw in the ADFPF.

Squats are the unknown. Haven't maxed in a while though I think I am stronger based on how easy box squats feel. When I hit my 500 squat max 2 years ago the weight felt like 1000 pounds. I could barely rack it. Last week my 505 box squat felt light and the eccentric was extremely easy.

Lift plan is:

Bench 350...375...400
Deadlift 550...600...610
Squat 450...500...530

Deadlift...600 is easy. I've done it twice this month and both times without problems. I want to get 600 in the books before trying to break the fed's record of 605. I don't want to press my luck and pull past 610. Just get the record and move on.

Squat...if 500 feels easy I might try 550. I hit a 505 box squat and that felt too easy. I am nervous about depth. My 500 two years ago was an inch high. I am stronger now and think I can easily nail 500 deep. I tend to pull up an inch near 1RM so if I go too heavy it might be a bust.

Bench...hard to say. I hit 365 with Gaspers a few months back and it was butter. I think I can get a grinder 400.

Fazc 08-22-2011 01:35 PM

Looks good, if anything I'd be a little more conservative with the Bench. Out of everything the Bench is the one which will give you the most issues due to squatting before hand and equipment (the actual bench stand) which is usually quite different. Also unusual spotters, etc etc you get the idea.

Squatting and Deadlifting shouldn't give you any issues apart from nerves, and i'm sure you can handle that.

Do you know what you're going to pack, food wise?

EDIT - Also have you practised commands during training? Rack/unrack Unrack/Press etc with a decent spotter acting like a judge. That is always something that seems to trip up new competitors.

Overall I think you'll have a blast.

BendtheBar 08-22-2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazc (Post 163913)
Looks good, if anything I'd be a little more conservative with the Bench. Out of everything the Bench is the one which will give you the most issues due to squatting before hand and equipment (the actual bench stand) which is usually quite different. Also unusual spotters, etc etc you get the idea.

Squatting and Deadlifting shouldn't give you any issues apart from nerves, and i'm sure you can handle that.

Do you know what you're going to pack, food wise?

EDIT - Also have you practised commands during training? Rack/unrack Unrack/Press etc with a decent spotter acting like a judge. That is always something that seems to trip up new competitors.

Overall I think you'll have a blast.

Thanks Fazc. Bench is an area of concern. I have had the habit of benching head up for the last 2 years and need to make sure I don't do this at the meet. I have been practicing the last 3 weeks but I still forget. I need to write it on my hand or something.

Food wise I have protein bars, whey and bananas. I am also thinking about taking along some sandwiches...meat, cheese, butter, tomatoes that sort of thing.

Not really sure how long the average meet takes.

Fazc 08-22-2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 163919)
Thanks Fazc. Bench is an area of concern. I have had the habit of benching head up for the last 2 years and need to make sure I don't do this at the meet. I have been practicing the last 3 weeks but I still forget. I need to write it on my hand or something.

Yep, little things like that catch people out. A lifter friend of mine got red lighted for not beginning a squat with his legs completely locked out, he walked out but was so nervous he was sort of hunched up. I've seen guys get failed for the silliest things but it's all part and parcel of the Meet. Rarely will you attend a Meet without some sort of rule drama. Just try and make sure you're not the one getting caught out.

I'd also practice the unrack and press commands.
  • The first command in the Bench is to unrack, you communicate with your spotter and get the bar handed to you.
  • The next command is after you've lowered it and paused, the judge will say "press" and you'll raise it from your chest to lockout.
  • Then make sure you pause! Wait for the judge to say "rack" and THEN rack it.

The squat is similar, you have two commands: One to "squat" after you've unracked it. And the second to "rack" after you have hopefully made the squat.

The deadlift is simpler, when your name is called you have your allotted time to lift the bar. The only command is at the top, where you are told to lower the bar. Usually the ref will hold his hand up and then lower it, when he wants you to lower the bar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 163919)
Food wise I have protein bars, whey and bananas. I am also thinking about taking along some sandwiches...meat, cheese, butter, tomatoes that sort of thing.

That sounds perfect. At my first competition (the Strongman one) I bought fruit juice which just gave me the worst stomach ache throughout the day. In my later competitions I would typically have sandwiches and bananas as you said, that works well.

The Meets I would attend would usually begin at 9am with the weigh-ins. The first lifts would start at 10am and we'd lift through to about 4pm.

J_Byrd 08-22-2011 03:09 PM

Wake up in time to eat breakfast and have it digested well. Nothing crazy, and dont start eating out of the norm because of the meet. Your stomach will not like it. Know that you will be fatigued during the day, and you will be wore down. Most of the time it does not effect me too adversely.

I would drop all my openers just a little. You know you are going to get the 2nd attempts, so the 1st should be like your last warm ups. I just like to have low ones for confidence. Judges like to see you have great control of weights, I feel it might give me the benefit of the doubt of a big 3rd attempt.

Do you have a goal total in mind? Make sure you have some alternatives for if you miss a weight somewhere along the way, that you can still get to your total. Remember that the total determines who wins the meet. I have a crappy spreadsheet that I use for this. I can send it to you if you like.

Remember this is just my advice, and everyone takes a meet differently. I am pulling for you.

BendtheBar 08-22-2011 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazc (Post 163947)
Yep, little things like that catch people out. A lifter friend of mine got red lighted for not beginning a squat with his legs completely locked out, he walked out but was so nervous he was sort of hunched up. I've seen guys get failed for the silliest things but it's all part and parcel of the Meet. Rarely will you attend a Meet without some sort of rule drama. Just try and make sure you're not the one getting caught out.

I'll do my best.

Quote:

I'd also practice the unrack and press commands.
  • The first command in the Bench is to unrack, you communicate with your spotter and get the bar handed to you.
  • The next command is after you've lowered it and paused, the judge will say "press" and you'll raise it from your chest to lockout.
  • Then make sure you pause! Wait for the judge to say "rack" and THEN rack it.

The squat is similar, you have two commands: One to "squat" after you've unracked it. And the second to "rack" after you have hopefully made the squat.

I got in a little practice on Saturday. I did a semi mock meet. I'll have to do a bit more practice without weight this week.

Quote:

The deadlift is simpler, when your name is called you have your allotted time to lift the bar. The only command is at the top, where you are told to lower the bar. Usually the ref will hold his hand up and then lower it, when he wants you to lower the bar.

That sounds perfect. At my first competition (the Strongman one) I bought fruit juice which just gave me the worst stomach ache throughout the day. In my later competitions I would typically have sandwiches and bananas as you said, that works well.

The Meets I would attend would usually begin at 9am with the weigh-ins. The first lifts would start at 10am and we'd lift through to about 4pm.

Thanks for all the input Fazc. One good thing is that I'm not a big daytime eater. I don't plan on doing much other than grazing unless I need to.

Off Road 08-22-2011 03:19 PM

We are ALL pulling for you BtB. Get it done!

Aurik 08-22-2011 03:29 PM

Hey Steve,

Have you seen this article? Starting Strength - Prepping for your First Powerlifting Meet

BendtheBar 08-22-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off Road (Post 163960)
We are ALL pulling for you BtB. Get it done!

Thanks OR.

BendtheBar 08-22-2011 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurik (Post 163967)

Will check it out.

While we are on the subject, check out this article on MAB by Bodybygamma:

Competing In Your 1st Raw Powerlifting Meet - Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding, Powerlifting and Muscle Building.