Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:21 AM   #11
JesseA
Über Member
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,369, Level: 36 Points: 3,369, Level: 36 Points: 3,369, Level: 36
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

JesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributor

I think a lot of people may miss a slight detail in squat technique that helps these massive squatters hit depth. Near the bottom, the lifter will dip or bounce into the hole and drive up from there. It happens really fast and the judges usually are watching for this. No judge would ever call depth from the front, so for all these internet judges to call Donnie out on depth is just silly.
JesseA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2011, 09:19 AM   #12
Isaku900
Wild Iron Gym
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,239, Level: 19 Points: 1,239, Level: 19 Points: 1,239, Level: 19
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 10+
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: Big 3
Isaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good posts

are you people on crack?

he doesn't dip, i can clearly and absolutely see the top of his thigh at the hip FROM THE FRONT. He doesn't even get ****ing close.

Its a travesty. The judges didn't say it complied with the rules, the judges don't follow their own rulebook, and they don't give a shit, they were gonna give him the lift regardless.

Become a fan of Wild Iron Gym on Facebook:
Isaku900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:29 AM   #13
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I guess what I have a problem with is people hating on Donnie. All he has done is squat a humoungous weight. If the judges shouldn't have passed it, surely we should be directing the hate towards them rather than discrediting the lifter?

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:33 AM   #14
Isaku900
Wild Iron Gym
Uber Brawn

Isaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
I guess what I have a problem with is people hating on Donnie. All he has done is squat a humoungous weight. If the judges shouldn't have passed it, surely we should be directing the hate towards them rather than discrediting the lifter?

LtL

Except for the fact that he specifically and intentionally chooses to lift in front of these shitty judges because everyone else will bomb him out.

Literally, he's tried this exact squat in four different federations, until he found one that would pass his bullshit.

When it comes to the SPF its not just blaming the judges for a blatant and intentional disregard for applying the rulebook to these lifts, the lifters who know this and choose to lift there because they know they can't squat as much in a federation that enforces squat depth are at fault for perpetuating it.

edit:
I was sitting directly behind the right side judge when he tried it in Sacramento in March. He never got within 5" of parallel, let alone breaking anything, and that was with his opener. He never unracked 1260.

Last edited by Isaku900; 08-22-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:49 PM   #15
Aurik
SFHW = Win
Max Brawn
Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 1-2
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Kettlebells, for now
Fav Supp: XTend
Aurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributor

Powerliftingwatch.com also reported that with this squat he posted a 3,000 pound total: 1265+950+785.

That's just in-freaking-SANE.
Valentin Konstantin Platz
Aurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #16
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

That is one heavy ass squat.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:26 PM   #17
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Donnie's squat aside, my concern with leeway is that it usually only gets worse. Once the door gets open it's rarely closed. Other federations will deny it, but they will feel feel pressure to change standards.

Records like this impact standards. I doubt a federation is going to come out and say, oops, that was 5" high. We are erasing that from the books and the judges are released from their duties.

Even on a small level someone is going to feel pressure to pass a squat 1/4" higher than they did last year. And on and on it goes.

Both bodybuilding and powerlifting are like the wild west right now. Things are spread so thin that it's fairly common for judges to be judging their friends or even training partners. Heck in bodybuilding it's almost the norm. Many judges are often contest prep coaches, and it's not uncommon for them to be judging people that paid them for services rendered.

Both sports need a governing body that doesn't have their hands in supplement or magazine sales, or any other back scratching. This certainly wouldn't solve all the problems but it might actually help. That's just a pipe dream though. I don't see this happening.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #18
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaku900 View Post
Except for the fact that he specifically and intentionally chooses to lift in front of these shitty judges because everyone else will bomb him out.

Literally, he's tried this exact squat in four different federations, until he found one that would pass his bullshit.

When it comes to the SPF its not just blaming the judges for a blatant and intentional disregard for applying the rulebook to these lifts, the lifters who know this and choose to lift there because they know they can't squat as much in a federation that enforces squat depth are at fault for perpetuating it.

edit:
I was sitting directly behind the right side judge when he tried it in Sacramento in March. He never got within 5" of parallel, let alone breaking anything, and that was with his opener. He never unracked 1260.
I have lifted at two SPF meets, and will lift anywhere against anyone in any fed. Would be in the Olympia in a few weeks if not for dumb injuries (my own dumbass fault). I cant deny that DT squat looks high, but im not the judge. Sounds to me you are taking something away from anyone who has lifted in the SPF. Maybe Im wrong.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #19
Isaku900
Wild Iron Gym
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
I have lifted at two SPF meets, and will lift anywhere against anyone in any fed. Would be in the Olympia in a few weeks if not for dumb injuries (my own dumbass fault). I cant deny that DT squat looks high, but im not the judge. Sounds to me you are taking something away from anyone who has lifted in the SPF. Maybe Im wrong.
I've lifted in the SPF as well, three times. I won't anymore because I refuse to condone, support, or otherwise make it seem like I'm at all "ok" with the consistent, blatant and intentional disregard for the rules of powerlifting present at most SPF meets.

If you go to an SPF meet and have some integrity and lift according to the rules then I'll give you all the respect you deserve for completing your lifts.

What really bugs me is people hemming and hawing over this, and calling these "all-time" world records as a result of a "missed" "questionable" or "blown" call. DT's squat doesn't just LOOK high, it absolutely IS high and calling it a "missed call" or a "blown call" is ridiculous. The historical precedence has clearly shown that these calls are not isolated, once in a while occurrences. They are clearly and unequivocally a systematic approach to allowing shitty lifts for the sole purpose of being able to claim "ALL TIME WORLD RECORDS SET IN OUR FED".

And literally every lame excuse given for these travesties makes geared lifting look stupid, and makes geared lifters look like morons.