Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:22 AM   #21
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Very likely. I would expect you to hit 950-1000.
That would be staggering As long as I get stronger and fitter and can feel the difference, I will be happy. If my I am at say 910-920 at that point, I will be annoyed but not deflated though I will probably be forced to train even harder
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2011, 07:31 AM   #22
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuytrider View Post
That would be staggering As long as I get stronger and fitter and can feel the difference, I will be happy. If my I am at say 910-920 at that point, I will be annoyed but not deflated though I will probably be forced to train even harder
Right now I see you hitting PRs or progressing by at least one rep 3 out of every 4 weeks for a while. There's always one bad week each year.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:37 AM   #23
Kuytrider
Max Brawn

Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Right now I see you hitting PRs or progressing by at least one rep 3 out of every 4 weeks for a while. There's always one bad week each year.
I'm started Wendler's 5/3/1 and will do that for maybe 12-16 weeks as I hear that's a good timeframe. Then I will look into Smolov for a base cycle but first thing's first. As my back is still a wee bit iffy, I'll wait till Wednesday to go back heavy on Wendler and just do his deloading week for the next two scheduled sessions.
Thanks for the info.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:43 AM   #24
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Best of luck. Succeed wildly.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:52 AM   #25
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
I'm started Wendler's 5/3/1 and will do that for maybe 12-16 weeks as I hear that's a good timeframe. Then I will look into Smolov for a base cycle but first thing's first.
First of all, I want to wish you all the luck in the world. You are making good progress and it's an exciting time.

But I feel the need to point out that 5/3/1 might not be the best choice if you are still making really good progress. 5/3/1 is a slower progression scheme. It is also meant to be run for a very long time, not just for a few cycles.

But still, whatver you choose, just smash it.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #26
austin.j.taylor
Fat, Pale, Weak
Max Brawn
Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Beer
austin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machine

As an army guy and a powerlifter/strongman I will weigh in on a few things:

GPP is super important to lifting success. Squatting 20 reps has a direct correlation to squatting 1rm. If you cant breathe properly with a 1rm on your back, you have very little chance to squat it. Dont like running, flip a tire or something. I run 8-12 miles a week and do some GPP on top of that. My lifting doesnt suffer because of that, it is enhanced because of that. The more GPP I do, the better my recovery becomes. I am not that big or strong my any means, but I dont want to be strong at the cost of my health. I want to be able to deadlift the world and have the breath to talk about it afterwards.

I very rarely trained arms. When I started to get into strongman, I realized how important arm strength is. I now train arms with passion and intensity like I never have before. I can now do chinups unassisted. My arms are starting to grow and my 1rm's keep going up.

Last edited by austin.j.taylor; 08-26-2011 at 10:28 AM.
austin.j.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:04 PM   #27
Kuytrider
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
First of all, I want to wish you all the luck in the world. You are making good progress and it's an exciting time.

But I feel the need to point out that 5/3/1 might not be the best choice if you are still making really good progress. 5/3/1 is a slower progression scheme. It is also meant to be run for a very long time, not just for a few cycles.

But still, whatver you choose, just smash it.
Thanks, I am going back home to Ireland in just under 5 weeks for a week's vacation so another cycle of 5/3/1 is a good fit. Liking the Smolov base cycle for when I return as it's 3-4 weeks of hell (I'm keen to really train hard and feel some real strain) and I do actually love squatting plus it could add plenty to what I have so far. Apparently Smolov Jr. is good for bench and could even be incorporated into the deadlift. These are things I would be interested in.

You're right of course Austin. I can run a solid 5km right now and this is reasonable I think though I ain't running fast when doing it! Sadly, I have no access to tires or a powerlifting gym for now so will make do with solid running and sprints in the future when I am happy with my running. I managed 165 for 20 reps in squat a few months ago, man it was hard!

Last edited by Kuytrider; 08-26-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #28
austin.j.taylor
Fat, Pale, Weak
Max Brawn
Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Beer
austin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machine

Quote:
You're right of course Austin. I can run a solid 5km right now and this is reasonable I think though I ain't running fast when doing it! Sadly, I have no access to tires or a powerlifting gym for now so will make do with solid running and sprints in the future when I am happy with my running. I managed 165 for 20 reps in squat a few months ago, man it was hard!
If I understand correctly there are hills in Ireland. Find one thats about 100m long and run up it as fast as you can, jog/walk back down. Repeat about 5-10 times. If you dont feel like puking afterwards, you did it wrong. I drive to the gym and sometimes go find a hill after my workouts to do this on. Works great and feels bad/good.
austin.j.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #29
Kuytrider
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin.j.taylor View Post
If I understand correctly there are hills in Ireland. Find one thats about 100m long and run up it as fast as you can, jog/walk back down. Repeat about 5-10 times. If you dont feel like puking afterwards, you did it wrong. I drive to the gym and sometimes go find a hill after my workouts to do this on. Works great and feels bad/good.
I am currently living in Leicester, England which is as flat as a pancake
Might be moving back to Ireland in 6 months but for now it's just a vacation and yes, there are plenty of hills there, especially in Galway where I used to live! Believe me, when I find a hill in Leicester I will be running up it. Would running up a stairs be any good? I live in an apartment block that is 17 storeys high.