Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Dinosaur Training

Dinosaur Training - if you haven't read it I highly recommend spending the cash or asking Santa. Even if you do not use a lot of his methods it is a book with many interesting ideas, as well as being a book that is focused on...

...wait for it...

Hard work on basic exercises.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

I'm currently on a mission to read as many "proper natural weightlifting" books as possible, so I'll add this one to the list. Thanks!
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:45 AM   #3
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Ferns, chrome, and bunnies
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #4
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

BUT you must WRITE in this MANNER throughout the book or else YOU WILL not create the right IMPRESSION of how a DINOSAUR thinks.

Perhaps the stubby dino arms kept slipping on the capslock?

It's a good book! Though quite amusing for the wrong reasons in parts.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
BigJosh
Max Brawn

BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
BUT you must WRITE in this MANNER throughout the book or else YOU WILL not create the right IMPRESSION of how a DINOSAUR thinks.

Perhaps the stubby dino arms kept slipping on the capslock?

It's a good book! Though quite amusing for the wrong reasons in parts.
Could you elaborate?
Old 08-16-2011, 10:46 AM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
Could you elaborate?
There are about 5-10 CAPS LOCKED words on each page.

I just ignore them because the ideas are interesting. I find anything non-Weider interesting.

I often bold for emphasis. It's an ADD generation. What can I say. I will post workouts that detail rest time between sets and then receive 700 questions ..."How long do I rest between sets."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 08-16-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:23 PM   #7
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
There are about 5-10 CAPS LOCKED words on each page.

I just ignore them because the ideas are interesting. I find anything non-Weider interesting.

I often bold for emphasis. It's an ADD generation. What can I say. I will post workouts that detail rest time between sets and then receive 700 questions ..."How long do I rest between sets."
What was that? All I understood was "5-10 caps locked" and "bold for emphasis".

J/k.
I have read rippetoe's stuff, and "only the strongest shall survive" by starr. Now I am trying to absorb more from other "natural" and "non weider" lifters.
Starr and Rippetoe are good, but there is a lot more out there than just them. They just seem to have a big internet following.
I read Brawn, I thought it was interesting. He is uber conservative, but his overall point is well made.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:33 PM   #8
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

People rarely read anymore. They just skim. And complex words trip them up. Sad.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
What was that? All I understood was "5-10 caps locked" and "bold for emphasis".

J/k.
I have read rippetoe's stuff, and "only the strongest shall survive" by starr. Now I am trying to absorb more from other "natural" and "non weider" lifters.
Starr and Rippetoe are good, but there is a lot more out there than just them. They just seem to have a big internet following.
I read Brawn, I thought it was interesting. He is uber conservative, but his overall point is well made.
John Christy is a must read, as is everything on the "Tight Tan Slacks" website and the works of Casey Butt.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:16 PM   #10
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Yeah don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic book and extremely popular one with a small niche of lifters. As usual with these cult phenomenoms they get their fair share of ribbing

I think BtB and myself have very similar tastes in training material.

In addition Josh, anything by Bill Starr is just awesome as far as i'm concerned. He was one of the few writers of his era who managed to document training styles that were popular at the time, and stuff which was meant for lifters of all stages not just beginner based stuff. Rippetoe carried on his work, and did so with excellent writing skills and backed with science. However for my money Starr was the one.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote