Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #11
AdamF
Brawn
Points: 773, Level: 14 Points: 773, Level: 14 Points: 773, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Sheiko
Fav Exercise: Bench
AdamF is new to the forumAdamF is new to the forum

I really liked the book as an inspirational "Work hard consistently on the basics to make progress" thing. The book is great for the cardio bunny/mullet trying to get into the real strength world, but if you have read a lot of the other stuff out there, this book is rehash of the basics. The interesting thing is his huge advocation of rack work. Like bottom position squats and deads.

I loved doing the rack work as I felt like the hulk maxing out every session doing bottom-up squats and benching. But really, I didn't get very far, and it had zero carryover to either. Best advice here is to read this for the "stick to the basics!" and go hard and heavy. But use the other training routines he lists like 5x5 and 5/4/3/2/1. Very few people have success on hitting max singles. If we all could progress like that, all we would have to do is enter a meet every week and max.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2011, 12:12 PM   #12
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I've always had an interest in trying rack work, especially with squats. I would love to try progressively lowering the pins with a heavy weight over a 10-16 week period, or longer.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #13
AdamF
Brawn
Points: 773, Level: 14 Points: 773, Level: 14 Points: 773, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Sheiko
Fav Exercise: Bench
AdamF is new to the forumAdamF is new to the forum

I wanted to try and do that too. But almost every other forum I looked around on basically said that this wouldn't really have any carryover.

Bud Jeffries has a whole book on this though, and says it is what got him his 1000lb rack squat.

The information regarding this is so contradictory it's not even funny. Anderson, Jeffries, and Brooks say this works. Everyone else says it really doesn't.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #14
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamF View Post

The information regarding this is so contradictory it's not even funny. Anderson, Jeffries, and Brooks say this works. Everyone else says it really doesn't.
Like so much of everything else in this industry.

Some days I want to dig a hold in my back yard to find out.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote