Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Smith Machine Starting Strength (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7037)

BendtheBar 08-12-2011 12:31 AM

Smith Machine Starting Strength

Poster to Rippetoe: I just moved to the Big Apple, and in my part of town there is a power lifting gym where all the big mother****ers go literally just ONE block away! Unfortunately though, the price range is far too high to accommodate my broke status at a whopping $70 monthly fee with a $200 startup fee. YIKES!

The solution? Planet Fitness. The relatively new franchise has been making tons of business from newbies (like myself) and intermediates with their famous $10 a month promise and their 24hour availability on weekdays.

So the problem is that there is LITERALLY not a single Free weight Barbell. All of their free weights are DB's with the heaviest one being a few sets of 60lbs. So as a result, I can't do Cleans or anything like that, and the compound movements that I can and do do, I perform on a Smith Machine.

Rippetoe: In NYC, $200 down/$70 month is not unreasonable. NYC is expensive, and I think you should move to WF where we get $75 down and $30/month. But your choice is the real gym where you can do the program, or Planet Pussy where you cannot.

Abaddon 08-12-2011 12:40 AM

nice

Trevor Lane 08-12-2011 12:41 AM

Quote:

But your choice is the real gym where you can do the program, or Planet Pussy where you cannot.
Priceless!

BendtheBar 08-12-2011 10:26 AM

I run into this question more than a handful of times each week, though it is not directly related to Starting Strength.

Far too many guys are lifting at home or at a crappy 24/7 gym and won't take the initiative to open a phone book, drive 5 extra minutes, pay $10 extra dollars, and lift at a gym that will actually allow them to reach their goals.

Either you want it or you don't. If you want it find a real gym.

Abaddon 08-12-2011 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 161005)
I run into this question more than a handful of times each week, though it is not directly related to Starting Strength.

Far too many guys are lifting at home or at a crappy 24/7 gym and won't take the initiative to open a phone book, drive 5 extra minutes, pay $10 extra dollars, and lift at a gym that will actually allow them to reach their goals.

Or build your own.

LtL 08-12-2011 10:29 AM

I completely agree. If you want it, make it happen. If you don't, enjoy your pencil neck and spaghetti arms.

LtL

BendtheBar 08-12-2011 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abaddon (Post 161007)
Or build your own.

That's what I did. Cost less than I imagined. I sold a lot of items on Ebay that were collecting dust, primarily DVDs and books, and purchased a bench unit.

Aurik 08-12-2011 10:36 AM

Another post full of WIN from Coach Rip!

bruteforce 08-12-2011 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 161005)

Aye. I'm looking at driving an hour and a half on weekends to get into a good gym. Its tough when there's no where to go, but if there's something in reach, I cant see why someone wouldnt take it.

BendtheBar 08-12-2011 10:44 AM

I think if I was 90 minutes from a gym and didn't have the cash to buy a complete gym I would probably get adjustable dumbbells, a sandbag, and a pullup bar. That's about 200-300 bucks and I think it would work well.