Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:03 AM   #11
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

I've got a decent one 10 minutes away, its more for the experience of working with people who are really dedicated to getting strong. This fall I'll be beginning my hardware collection after tuition is paid.
bruteforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2011, 12:26 PM   #12
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Irony of ironies...just was asked by someone if they could do Starting Strength with dumbbells or machines.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #13
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Irony of ironies...just was asked by someone if they could do Starting Strength with dumbbells or machines.
What did you tell them?
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:53 PM   #14
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
What did you tell them?
I told him no. And to buy the book.

Then I asked what his goals are. He hasn't responded but when he does it will be..."to lose fat and get ripped."

90% of those who ask me questions want to look like Zac Efron. Also, 95% of the guys who train at home with dumbbells usually only have 40 pounds of weight.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #15
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Quote:
I run into this question more than a handful of times each week, though it is not directly related to Starting Strength.

Far too many guys are lifting at home or at a crappy 24/7 gym and won't take the initiative to open a phone book, drive 5 extra minutes, pay $10 extra dollars, and lift at a gym that will actually allow them to reach their goals.

Either you want it or you don't. If you want it find a real gym.
Most gyms are pretty hard-up for cash these days, especially if you join in the summer/early fall when most of the New Year's/Christmas signees from the previous year have canceled their contracts after the one year commitment.

My gym isn't as awesome as some I've been in when traveling, but it has 2 squat racks, a power rack, 2 T-bar stations and a lot of benches (among other things).

I joined years ago when I was still a teacher. I waited until they advertised no joining fee and asked for a discount. To this day, I pay $30 a month and I can cancel at any time.

I can see how a smaller, PL gym might need to charge more as the membership volume is lower, but I don't see why anyone would pay $60 or $70 a month for a gym. I feel like I overpay and I am in the gym 4-5 days each week.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #16
Isaku900
Wild Iron Gym
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,239, Level: 19 Points: 1,239, Level: 19 Points: 1,239, Level: 19
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 10+
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: Big 3
Isaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MC* View Post
I can see how a smaller, PL gym might need to charge more as the membership volume is lower, but I don't see why anyone would pay $60 or $70 a month for a gym. I feel like I overpay and I am in the gym 4-5 days each week.
Its $100/mo for my gym, $75/mo for me because I'm an elite lifter.

Part of it is due to real estate costs in the bay area, the rent on our 1440 sq ft warehouse is over $2k.

Part of it is that we have a limited membership base and all of us contribute to make sure the place stays open.

Part of it is the equipment and expertise available, everybody is coached every set and we have all the specialty equipment that you can't find at other gyms. We also have the team atmosphere and attitude that everyone is going to help everyone else get stronger.

if you're paying a lot for just a place, then yea it doesn't make much sense.

Become a fan of Wild Iron Gym on Facebook:
Isaku900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #17
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I'd pay $75-100 for a powerlifting gym if we had one near. There is so much equipment I wish I had in my home gym, from a reverse hyper to chains to a monolift. I'd also love to routinely use stuff like a Texas deadlift bar or bumper plates for Olympic lifts, if available.

If we had one near, I would probably eat ramen noodles every meal just to squeeze in the cost.

Like Isaku mentioned, the atmosphere and training crew are also a huge part of it. I've trained in Minnesota with a bench crew and it's light years ahead of training on your own. Not only do you get pushed but you also learn a heck of a lot in a short amount of time, and you get a lot of feedback to help you fix what's broken.

I've only trained several times in a group setting, but nothing compares for me.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #18
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
I'd pay $75-100 for a powerlifting gym if we had one near. There is so much equipment I wish I had in my home gym, from a reverse hyper to chains to a monolift. I'd also love to routinely use stuff like a Texas deadlift bar or bumper plates for Olympic lifts, if available.

If we had one near, I would probably eat ramen noodles every meal just to squeeze in the cost.

Like Isaku mentioned, the atmosphere and training crew are also a huge part of it. I've trained in Minnesota with a bench crew and it's light years ahead of training on your own. Not only do you get pushed but you also learn a heck of a lot in a short amount of time, and you get a lot of feedback to help you fix what's broken.

I've only trained several times in a group setting, but nothing compares for me.
Oh yeah, I'd love to have access to stuff like that, especially the bumper plates, and stuff like chains and real bands to mess with.

That being said, I'm lucky. I work out at a gym with 3 locations in town. You get access to all three for $120 a YEAR. It has a ton of members and gets by with older machines and mis-matched weights. They usually play metal over the speakers, but there are also nice little old ladies who train there. There are also different, seperated areas to train, one with cardio stuff and nicer machines, another with serious dumbells and hammer-strength stuff.

There are also 3 people total who use the power-rack, and they all do real squats. I'm one of them, and another is a powerlifter who won two medals at last years firefighter's games. He taught me the low-bar hold.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote