Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:21 AM   #1
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member
Default Squat question

I've been focussing hard on a good, tight arch in my back during squats. It feels good, and my form is tight. The arch is stopping me right at parralel, so I don't have to think about it. But I'm having a small issue I was curious about. I'm having some dull aches in the front of my hips, around the hip flexor. It feels like a combination of the joint, connective tissue, and muscle. Nothing specific, and no shooting pains. It sort of feels like someone punched me in the hip flexors for 15 minutes. This morning I did squats again and I definitely felt it at the bottom.

Any thoughts?
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2011, 07:43 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I've had hip similar issues but mine came from heavy RDLs.

Just out of curiosity how wide is your stance?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:26 AM   #3
M Honeycutt
M Honeycutt
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,942, Level: 26 Points: 1,942, Level: 26 Points: 1,942, Level: 26
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: ???
M Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good posts

Soilder, sounds like you need to do some more stretching or different forms of stretching for your hips before you squat. I use to have hip problems but now they feel great and it came from streching daily. Also why are you squating 2 days in a row?

SPONSORED BY
SERVPROŽ of Carteret & East Onslow Counties
M Honeycutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:47 AM   #4
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Honeycutt View Post
Soilder, sounds like you need to do some more stretching or different forms of stretching for your hips before you squat. I use to have hip problems but now they feel great and it came from streching daily. Also why are you squating 2 days in a row?
I didn't squat two days in a row. I squated hard Saturday, then did an explosive/speed workout that included a couple sets of squats this morning. I also did some sprinting and lunges Tuesday at PT

I'm sure you're right about my hip mobility. It's never been an issue, where as my knees have given me lots of trouble, and received the bulk of my time spent on mobility. I think the sprints and ab training have led to some tightness I haven't had before, now that I think about it.

BTB, my stance is about 6-8" wider on each side than shoulder width. Definitely not a powerlifting stance, but it gives me a good balance of back and leg focus.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
M Honeycutt
M Honeycutt
Uber Brawn

M Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good postsM Honeycutt has made some good posts

if your PTing and squating and training im sure you will always have aches and pains. you probably have some inflamation in your joints from lifting and PT. I work for the marine corp at camp lejeune so i know what PT is about. Good luck trying to balance PT and weight lifting... it can be done if approached correctly. Are you in the army?

SPONSORED BY
Old 08-11-2011, 10:20 AM   #6
M Honeycutt
M Honeycutt
Uber Brawn

Also try not to PT after you squat or train your legs. Try to give your body 24hrs at least to recuperate from a heavy squat workout.

SPONSORED BY
Old 08-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #7
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

If I had to guess it is just tightness in your hipflexers. Need to focus on getting some good streches in before hand that focus on that. A cheap set of briefs would help as well, you can pick up a z suit for about $40.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:47 AM   #8
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Honeycutt View Post
if your PTing and squating and training im sure you will always have aches and pains. you probably have some inflamation in your joints from lifting and PT. I work for the marine corp at camp lejeune so i know what PT is about. Good luck trying to balance PT and weight lifting... it can be done if approached correctly. Are you in the army?
I'm a "future soldier". I'm shipping into the Army in January. We have PT twice a week, but we only have to come once a week, which I'll probably start doing. It's other future soldiers who run PT, and god do they have no clue how to run a good training session. I don't mind a drill sergeant who's younger than me yelling at me, because they are sergeants for a reason, but it takes every once of control I have to handle an 18 year old private yelling at me, when they have no experience or training in how to develop a fitness program.

At first I was focussed on just increasing the military's "big three"; pushups, situps, and running. After I passed all three parts of the fitness test on the first try, I switched over to a conditioning focus to prepare myself for basic, which includes very high volume. I've been training upwards of 10-12 times a week, switching around from heavy lifting, speed work, and high-rep stuff for muscular endurance, to MMA style workouts including bag work and grappling exercises. Whatever part(s) of me feel good on a given day, I'll train. I've almost forgotten what periodization and specialization mean, but every time I try to make and follow a weekly plan, something gets overdone and holds back everything else.

I know it's a crazy, overwhelming plan, but Hell if it isn't working. I'm steadily recomping, even gaining a couple lbs while leaning out, and my conditioning is through the roof, and all while improving my joint mobility, especially in my horrible knees which feel great (thank you squats!).
Old 08-11-2011, 11:51 AM   #9
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Great work so far, I like the sound of that schedule.

In regards to soreness I think it's just a simple case of doing too much/too hard/too soon. Back off a little and let your body acclimatise to the schedule.

You can do anything if you start light enough. But push it and the fatigue will continue to build untill injury stops you completely.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote