Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Form and Weight

Which lift has presented the greatest form challenges for you as a novice, and now that the weight is much heavier?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

bench

but only coz I'm still a novice at squat and deadlift

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Without question it is the squat. It's just so easy to break form when using high percentages of your 1RM and trying to get depth.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Mine is squat. While bench has been challenging, heavy, heavy squats have given me fits. I spent nearly 6 months a couple years back battling an eccentric that felt like I was lowering a bulldozer.

On the other hand, deadlifts are like butter for me. My form always feels natural.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
Aurik
SFHW = Win
Max Brawn
Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Tournaments Won: 1

Training Exp: 1-2
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Kettlebells, for now
Fav Supp: XTend
Aurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributor

For me it's all of the "big 3". I'm pretty certain that form issues are holding me back from making some significant gains on those. I'll be video'ing myself more often to try to figure out where exactly I'm going wrong.
Valentin Konstantin Platz
Aurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #6
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Bench Press. Which is always surprising to hear for people who haven't known me since I started lifting. I have Benched around 350lbs raw but I was actually stuck with a 200-220lbs max for the first 4 years of training, while my Squat and Deadlift shot up.

Currently i'd say it's the Deadlift, I still haven't fully figured it out.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
I was actually stuck with a 200-220lbs max for the first 4 years of training, while my Squat and Deadlift shot up.
I would be curious to learn more about how your bench did finally improve. Sorry if this was addressed before.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #8
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I would be curious to learn more about how your bench did finally improve. Sorry if this was addressed before.
X2 Faz...spill it
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #9
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Alright it was a few things so i'll do a sort of a timeline with comments:

2000: Get stapled by a 20kg bar, cos my spotter was checking out some chicks on T.V. Off to a good start Fazzy boy!

2004: I have competed in several regional competitions with a Squat of around 170kg and deadlift around 210kg. Bench at this point was never officially higher than 90kg. 95kg in the gym on a good day. I could Dip quite well; with +50kg to my bodyweight. Training to this point was mainly Hardgainer type stuff. Infrequent lifting, to the point of the lifts every 12-14 days. Bench done more often at every 7th day or so. I was a Hardgainer Champion and my Bench difficulties were diagnosed as *genetics*. *He's more of a Dipper than a Bencher* I believed that bullshit for a while too...

2005: Talk to Dan John via email, from this talk I go over 5 years of paper workout logs and discover patterns of sickness every 3rd week. Interesting! I adapt my workout to accomodate 2 week of heavy training and 1 week of light loading. At the same time read Bill *The Man* Starr book OSST and discover Hepburn rep loading. Ok quite an eye opener to a die-hard Hardgainer lifter. My Bench routine now looks like this:

Monday: Bench 5 singles followed by 5 x 5.
Tuesday: OHP 1-3x5
Wed: Incline 1-3x5
Friday: Bench 5 singles followed by 5 x 5.

From a period of 4 weeks my Bench shot up from 90kg to 120kg. The gains I experienced in this short period were the best I ever have seen, in anyone drug-free. I eventually top out at 137.5kg.

2006: *Life* happens and I stop all training for a year and then struggle to get back into it for another year. This time period also straddled a horrendous hamstring injury.

2008: Rediscover Casey Butt. After many, many hamstring issues I decide if my hamstring falls off one more time then i'll probably never dance again, so I decide to forget about any and all hopes for competing ever again. I start *bodybuilding*.... oh dear, I am that injury ridden old lifter. Has it come to this!

Start training 3 sets of 10 on most lifts, with shorter and shorter rest periods. Hmmm this is quite good, i'm getting stronger and stronger. Lets try some singles.. 120kg, 130kg, 135kg, 140kg... Hmmm well maybe i still got it! I carry on switching periods of 3x10 higher rep/low rest volume work with low rep singles eventually topping out at 155kg, 160kg with a push.

2011: Realise that successful lifting is about getting stronger while remaining injury free.

2012: Forget what I learned in 2011.

Last edited by Fazc; 08-10-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:01 PM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Alright it was a few things so i'll do a sort of a timeline with comments:

2000: Get stapled by a 20kg bar, cos my spotter was checking out some chicks on T.V. Off to a good start Fazzy boy!

2004: I have competed in several regional competitions with a Squat of around 170kg and deadlift around 210kg. Bench at this point was never officially higher than 90kg. 95kg in the gym on a good day. I could Dip quite well; with +50kg to my bodyweight. Training to this point was mainly Hardgainer type stuff. Infrequent lifting, to the point of the lifts every 12-14 days. Bench done more often at every 7th day or so. I was a Hardgainer Champion and my Bench difficulties were diagnosed as *genetics*. *He's more of a Dipper than a Bencher* I believed that bullshit for a while too...

2005: Talk to Dan John via email, from this talk I go over 5 years of paper workout logs and discover patterns of sickness every 3rd week. Interesting! I adapt my workout to accomodate 2 week of heavy training and 1 week of light loading. At the same time read Bill *The Man* Starr book OSST and discover Hepburn rep loading. Ok quite an eye opener to a die-hard Hardgainer lifter. My Bench routine now looks like this:

Monday: Bench 5 singles followed by 5 x 5.
Tuesday: OHP 1-3x5
Wed: Incline 1-3x5
Friday: Bench 5 singles followed by 5 x 5.

From a period of 4 weeks my Bench shot up from 90kg to 120kg. The gains I experienced in this short period were the best I ever have seen, in anyone drug-free. I eventually top out at 137.5kg.

2006: *Life* happens and I stop all training for a year and then struggle to get back into it for another year. This time period also straddled a horrendous hamstring injury.

2008: Rediscover Casey Butt. After many, many hamstring issues I decide if my hamstring falls off one more time then i'll probably never dance again, so I decide to forget about any and all hopes for competing ever again. I start *bodybuilding*.... oh dear, I am that injury ridden old lifter. Has it come to this!

Start training 3 sets of 10 on most lifts, with shorter and shorter rest periods. Hmmm this is quite good, i'm getting stronger and stronger. Lets try some singles.. 120kg, 130kg, 135kg, 140kg... Hmmm well maybe i still got it! I carry on switching periods of 3x10 higher rep/low rest volume work with low rep singles eventually topping out at 155kg, 160kg with a push.

2011: Realise that successful lifting is about getting stronger while remaining injury free.

2012: Forget what I learned in 2011.
That is one of the most interesting posts I have read in a long time. Your 4 week progress was incredible.

I think we discovered (in your case rediscovered) Casey at the same time. I first started exploring the online lifting community in late 2007. I had been away from any lifting media for nearly 20 years until that time. I had strong beliefs about limiting volume, and the importance of progression on basics lifts. Casey was the only one I could really connect with because we shared so many common beliefs. Plus, I hadn't gained any muscle in about 10 years so I had strong suspicions that natural growth was limited.

Don't forget too much in 2012!