Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Form and Weight (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7012)

BendtheBar 08-10-2011 10:11 AM

Form and Weight

Which lift has presented the greatest form challenges for you as a novice, and now that the weight is much heavier?

Abaddon 08-10-2011 10:15 AM

bench

but only coz I'm still a novice at squat and deadlift

Off Road 08-10-2011 10:17 AM

Without question it is the squat. It's just so easy to break form when using high percentages of your 1RM and trying to get depth.

BendtheBar 08-10-2011 10:19 AM

Mine is squat. While bench has been challenging, heavy, heavy squats have given me fits. I spent nearly 6 months a couple years back battling an eccentric that felt like I was lowering a bulldozer.

On the other hand, deadlifts are like butter for me. My form always feels natural.

Aurik 08-10-2011 10:25 AM

For me it's all of the "big 3". I'm pretty certain that form issues are holding me back from making some significant gains on those. I'll be video'ing myself more often to try to figure out where exactly I'm going wrong.

Fazc 08-10-2011 10:31 AM

Bench Press. Which is always surprising to hear for people who haven't known me since I started lifting. I have Benched around 350lbs raw but I was actually stuck with a 200-220lbs max for the first 4 years of training, while my Squat and Deadlift shot up.

Currently i'd say it's the Deadlift, I still haven't fully figured it out.

BendtheBar 08-10-2011 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazc (Post 160305)
I was actually stuck with a 200-220lbs max for the first 4 years of training, while my Squat and Deadlift shot up.

I would be curious to learn more about how your bench did finally improve. Sorry if this was addressed before.

glwanabe 08-10-2011 10:53 AM

Squatting, but I'm working a plan to make that issue go away.

300 as my workset on squatting first target goal number, then I want a 400lb squat.

Off Road 08-10-2011 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 160307)
I would be curious to learn more about how your bench did finally improve. Sorry if this was addressed before.

X2 Faz...spill it :)

Wlfdg 08-10-2011 11:29 AM

Over the years I've had periods of difficulty with all 5 of the major lifts.
Some were due to maturity or lack there of, aka ego
Some were due to listening to gym gurus. This caused a lot of confusion about technique.
Some were due to the growth phases and getting taller.

In the case of the Snatch I was taught "jump up - jump down" which I followed into my late 30's. This greatly limited what I eventually could pull.
A few years ago I started adapting my sandbag clean technique to my Oly lifts. Then I saw Coach Don McCauley's "catapult" technique. That helped me refine my technique.