Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast
Default Powercleans and Westside?

Is there a way to incorporate heavy powercleans into a westside style template?

I really like doing powercleans and they make me feel very strong in all of my lifts, any thoughts here?

My current lifting schedule is
Sunday: DE Squats/max deadlifts
MondayE Bench
Wednesday ME Squat
Thursday ME Bench
Fridayff, light back
Saturday:rugby matches

Thanks guys, dont know if there is a way to do this but I figured you guys would know better than me
jwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2009, 09:13 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I would probably work them in on deadlift or speed deadlift days. They work so many muscle groups, but I tend to place lower back health as a big issue. It you did them on a bench day, you would have 4 days that directly or indirectly hit lower back.

I'm still thinking through this though...what type of work do you do on Friday...mainly upper back stuff?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Friday is mainly upper back stuff and really nothing serious since I have matches on Saturday otherwise I would inlcude them there. I am just nervous about having soreness on saturday, I may start this week doing them low volume and low weight and just try to avoid soreness.

Thanks for the help, looking forward to more insight.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

NP. I would probably stick with Sunday. Since they are explosive, they might work good with DE squat/deadlift.

Let's see what BWYS thinks....

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:40 PM   #5
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

Thanks for the help, we will see what he says.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:47 PM   #6
bwys61
Austin Simply Fit #1
Max Brawn
Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
bwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machine

I would do them on Monday-DE Bench Day

1. It will get your CNS warmed-up(understatement) for Bench and

2. your shoulders will be completely warm as well(less chance for shoulder injury on the bench)
3. You don't have to worry about jeopardizing a Max effort lift, since its on DE day.
4. You have Tuesday to rest, and it won't cause as much muscle damage as you think, as long as technique is REALLY emphasized over poundage

I have always had good workouts on the bench following a power/hang clean workout.

I would do them more, but its hard enough getting my partners to workout, much less add something as complicated when they are there
bwys61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

I really like them so I may do this, I am just not sure about doing them the day after a max deadlift, but on the other hand it may just loosen everything up. I will have to do some experimenting and see what happens. thanks guys!
Old 09-16-2009, 02:34 PM   #8
AthleteCreator
Trollin'
Uber Brawn
Points: 962, Level: 16 Points: 962, Level: 16 Points: 962, Level: 16
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

AthleteCreator is new to the forumAthleteCreator is new to the forum

My question is "why". Why do you feel the need to incorporate them? I'm sure millions of people have incorporated them successfully with DE/ME type of schedules, but I've never done it that way.

I'll pick out a phase where I focus strictly on O-lifts and do very little "traditional" powerlifting type movements. I generally maintain strength levels quite well even without focusing directly on bench, deads, and squat. In fact, a lot of the times, I've gotten stronger due to the explosive nature of the o-lifts.

There is nothing "smart" about a 3rd attempt deadlift.
AthleteCreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:32 PM   #9
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

I just really enjoy doing them and i like everything gets stronger when i do them. It was more of just a thought not something i definitely plan on doing.

I wanted to get some other opinions on this subject.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:15 PM   #10
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
I just really enjoy doing them and i like everything gets stronger when i do them. It was more of just a thought not something i definitely plan on doing.

I wanted to get some other opinions on this subject.
Thats reason enough to do them.

You could do an 8 to 12 week cycle where you work oly lift compounds heavily. You can work around not having perfect technical form for the lifts.

The catch phase of the bar is where things take time to really learn. There are several different opinions on training oly lifts, IMO, there's more than one way to skin a cat, possum, racoon, insert critter of preference.

Training to get under the bar on a snatch is way harder than a clean. However, the snatch is awesome!

You could build a program that utilizes all the basic strength moves of oly lifting. Still do the actual lifts, but go heavy on the moves to build strength.
Go lighter on the actual lifts until you really get the feel for getting under the bar and catching while your down.

Front squats
Overhead squats
Back squats
High pulls with both clean grip, and snatch grip
SLDL
Good mornings
Standing presses, Push presses, Snatch width presses
There's a few more but you get the idea.

This video is worth watching. Dan John is talking about oly lifting, and covers several areas.

The Video FitCast- Episode 6

Also check out Tommy Kono's vids.

Go have some fun with it. You could still do a bit of chest work but I would put it last in any session. Save the energy for building the delts needed to push heavy weight up. Something to think about.

got abs?

Wheels!

He must workout.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote