Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:51 AM   #21
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I give BtB all the credit in the world for wanting to take on the challenge. For me [at my age], I have no desire to introduce anything too different in my training. But I have no plans to compete so I'll just stick with slow and steady progression on the main lifts. But I will follow his journal closely to see if the Cleans have any effect on his Deadlift.
Thanks Off Road. I am curios to see how much frequent explosive pulling helps. It should be evident soon. My deadlift went up 20 pounds last year. So any unusual jumps at this point for me are notable.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2011, 09:03 AM   #22
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Olympic lifting brings far more to the table than most people would think.

Pyrros Dimas training - pyrros, dimas, weightlifting - IronScene - Powerlifting Videos

You don't manhandle several hundred pounds of loaded barbell the way this man does without having some serious strength, and conditioning.

Start training the overhead squat, and let me know when you get to the point that you can perform 1 rep at bodyweight.

Try to push press a snatch grip BW overhead.

Try to front squat 300+ or even 400lbs

Try working pulling movements 5-6 days a week.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:33 AM   #23
glwanabe
Max Brawn

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Found this, liked it, that is all.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:35 AM   #24
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
Start training the overhead squat, and let me know when you get to the point that you can perform 1 rep at bodyweight.

Try to push press a snatch grip BW overhead.

Try to front squat 300+ or even 400lbs

Try working pulling movements 5-6 days a week.
That kind of stuff gets me fired up to train hard. All those lifts would be really imressive for the average lifter.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:44 AM   #25
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Push press is so much harder for me than strict press. Good sign...tells me I have much to improve with core stability and strength.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:35 PM   #26
glwanabe
Max Brawn

Several good pics of Chinese lifters training.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:46 PM   #27
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Gl, the dimas vid is the best ive seen in a long time, that is some beautiful speed and form.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:03 PM   #28
glwanabe
Max Brawn

The dimas vid is one of my favorites. His speed on his jerks is amazing.

It is said a lot that olympic lifting is explosive, and that it doesn't have much carryover. I really have to disagree with that opinion.

Yes, Olympic lifting is explosixe, I'm not going to argue that point. However the explosive strength needed to clean 400lbs, and then put it overhead does in fact have a great carryover to other strength aspects.

The push out of the hole on the front squatted portion is not an explosive lift. that is a pure strength feat with maximum effort to complete.

Perfect technique in executing the lifts can make or break a limit attempt for a world class lifter. Thats not what we are talking about. We are simply taking the useful aspects and incorporating them back into a lifting program, much like they once were.