Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!
Default Another take on deadlift

I think (my opinion) is that numbers are the biggest problem with the deadlift. If a newer lifter realizes that a 500 lb deadlift is a respectable number, he will try to get there as fast as he can so that he'll feel like a bad-ass. This often results in poor lift form and progression that is too agressive.

On the flip side, if a newer lifter has absolutely no idea what a good deadlift number is and just consentrates on executing the lift correctly, they may take longer to get to 500 lbs but they will probably maintain form through-out.

As an added benefit, not knowing what a good lift number is, and just consentrating on good form and slow steady progression, the lifter may just end up smashing the 500 lb mark. The mind and the internet are powerful tools for both good and evil.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
T-Bone
The Beardo Weirdo
Max Brawn
Points: 6,038, Level: 50 Points: 6,038, Level: 50 Points: 6,038, Level: 50
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 7
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
T-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machine

This is where I am right now. I only started deadlifting again a few months ago. I started off light. Now for me I think a 300+ DL would be very respectable, but right now 175 suits me fine. I'm not going to charge through to get there before I'm ready. The strength will come, it has for my other lifts and it will, no doubt, happen with the deadlift.

"There's nothing wrong with being a large mammal." - Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison - The Doors (1991)

Sergey Krastio Trelawny
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Interesting thought. I agree, but play devil's advocate by saying that if a new lifter has no clue what a good number is, he might not push himself and instead be perfectly happy to pull 225 all day. Knowing that guys are pulling crazy numbers out there lets us know what is theoretically possible, and gives us goals, even if they aren't always realistic at first.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:32 AM   #4
Off Road
Max Brawn

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
if a new lifter has no clue what a good number is, he might not push himself and instead be perfectly happy to pull 225 all day.
Good point, but it wouldn't be a problem if progression is emphasized.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Lots of good ideas.

I think we all can agree that guys who actually do seek out form advice are serious about lifting. The other 95% are the gym rats who flounder and never make progress for a variety of reasons.

Glwanabe and myself were talking about the importance of teaching form out the gate; making it a cornerstone of any programming we do. Sounds obvious but it rarely happens. 95% of beginner workouts on the Internet merely consist of do this exercise for X sets of X reps.

I am also for the restriction of weight during the first few months. Sometimes I think I'm too conservative, but I am anal about form.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #6
Off Road
Max Brawn

Those are some really good ideas BtB. In the past I've recommended that new lifters take a couple of months to 1.) work on form, 2.) use really light weights, 3.) get their conditioning up via sprints and sled work, 4.) get their diet figured, at least know their maintenance levels...Most everybody thinks I'm crazy for even suggesting such nonsense.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:18 AM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Those are some really good ideas BtB. In the past I've recommended that new lifters take a couple of months to 1.) work on form, 2.) use really light weights, 3.) get their conditioning up via sprints and sled work, 4.) get their diet figured, at least know their maintenance levels...Most everybody thinks I'm crazy for even suggesting such nonsense.
I'm right there with you. I look at it as a "primer" stage.

A novice needs to ease into things and gain conditioning and some stabilizer strength before they start progressing. They also need to get diet down, and good form.

But this is all backwards on most forums. 99% of novices are doing 82 sets per day, believe their form is ok (when it's not, especially on the big lifts), are eating poorly, and don't understand progression.

It's my opinion that all programming should address each of these areas.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:25 AM   #8
Off Road
Max Brawn

I was one of those idiots. I started out way too aggressive and eventually had to stop and readjust everything. If I'd only known then...
Old 08-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I was one of those idiots. I started out way too aggressive and eventually had to stop and readjust everything. If I'd only known then...
Well I was lucky. I had a good mentor from day one.

Part of this is like Mr. Miyagi training...you set the bait and those who see the primer stage as having value are the ones you invest time in helping the most.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
Off Road
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Part of this is like Mr. Miyagi training...you set the bait and those who see the primer stage as having value are the ones you invest time in helping the most.
I'm going to remember that! Kind of like a test, if you want my help then you must do this.