Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:38 AM   #31
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfdg View Post
I wonder if the development of the television had anything to do wth it?
Good point, and one that I completely missed.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2011, 07:45 AM   #32
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Why the US Sucks at Olympic Lifting: Part 3

Why the US Sucks at Olympic Lifting: Part 3 | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

A quote from the end.

Quote:
In a thread on his forum, Olympic lifting coach Glenn Pendlay of California Strength (who’s OL’ing Technique DVD I reviewed previously) apparently took a bit of an issue with the title of this series and my choice of the word ’suck’ to describe US performance in OL’ing arguing that we do ok just not great. Fair enough and this is just semantics I suppose. But compared to where we were in the 60’s (medalling in nearly every weight class) compared to now (winning nothing at all), I stand by my choice. Anyhow, just wanted to address it sooner rather than later.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:01 AM   #33
Wlfdg
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 34
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Snatch
Fav Supp: Elk
Wlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good posts

He's not really breaking any new ground here.
A "no other way out" situation, competitive training environment, 100% distraction free, brutal "take no prisoners" training and specificity.

There are a dozen other articles on the web saying the same things?

"There's no such thing as shaping and toning. Only stronger and weaker." -Mark Rippetoe
Wlfdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:06 AM   #34
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfdg View Post

There are a dozen other articles on the web saying the same things?
I respect the effort he put into the article but quite frankly the entire series didn't do much for me. Not sure if he's done...

Old 08-05-2011, 01:18 PM   #35
Wlfdg
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 34
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Snatch
Fav Supp: Elk
Wlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
"authorities" my ass. It's like history being written by the winners, in reverse! Kono, the Georges, Anderson, etc. kicked the asses that were in front of them at the time, usually right there in their own countries to boot. Some of their records are still shocking to this day given the equipment they used.

I'd be shocked to see any credible source that doubted their overall success as being the result of the rest of the world sucking.
Forums - View Single Post - Lyle McDonald's articles on US and Oly

Quote:
We dominated not because we were better. We dominated because approximately 50% of the Eastern Block males between 18-24 were killed in World War II.

During the 50's (our "golden" age) we were slightly behind the Soviets in World Championship medals 48 to 44 and Olympic medals 14 to 13.

Twenty years after WWII (during the decade of the 60's) when the new generation of Soviet lifters came of age we fell way behind in World Championship medals 72 to 23 as well as Olympic medals 19 to 9.

So one could say that we really never dominated on an even playing field - Sean Waxman
There's a thread over at the Pendlay forum that growing in pages by the minute
http://www.pendlayforum.com/showthread.php?t=3568

"There's no such thing as shaping and toning. Only stronger and weaker." -Mark Rippetoe
Wlfdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #36
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Just hanging this out there...what percentage of our soldiers didn't get a chance to compete because of service and/or death?

It seems to me if you add up the numbers from a myriad of countries, despite these fatalities, that the lifter pool would be quite substantial. One country versus the world, even if some countries are handicapped so to speak, is still a pretty large pool.

Am I missing something with this argument? I may just be speaking out my back end...

Everyone focuses on training styles and numbers, but the aspect that intrigues me most is drug use. Was this a level playing field, or did the Eastern Bloc countries use a more aggressive AAS approach?

I also believe the Eastern Bloc countries upped their game as far as making an effort to beat the Americans, or am I incorrect? Did they not have athlete mills where they sifted younger athletes to find the best, or was this just a modern China thing? I thought the Bulgarians did this too...

And I believe I heard it mentioned that "the state" provided some sort of reward/incentive for athletes...I might be off base here too...

Last edited by BendtheBar; 08-05-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:26 PM   #37
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I appreciated this response:

Quote:
You have to tinker and get your hands dirty in the OL game in order to understand why USAW is not getting to where it should be.

In the end their is an expectation that the top US lifters eat sleep and breathe OL......wonderfull.......WHO PAYS......cause living that way ain't free and it aint cheap.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:35 PM   #38
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Nick Horton:

Quote:
Bingo!! There are so many reasons that weightlifting isn't doing as well here as we'd like it to. But, a major one is simply that no one even knows it exists. Thankfully, many of us (here on this board) are taking that problem by the horns and trying to remedy the situation as best we can. It's getting better, slowly ...

Old 08-05-2011, 02:41 PM   #39
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

On drug use:

Quote:
Wrong. Our lifters are literally tested on a biweekly basis sometimes. Ask Glenn about how frequently Donny or the rest of his lifters get tested. This simply doesn't happen in other countries. Sure, we're all subject to the same competition testing, but the testing out of competition is very unequal. And if you needed any more convincing, all you would need to do is examine the disparity between "offseason" training lifts vs competition lifts from successful countries vs the U.S. U.S. lifters, with some exceptions of course, get very close to their training bests in competition. North snatched 160 in competition and couldn't get it in training for several weeks. This would be unheard of in Russia, where guys are snatching their competition openers for triples.

Why on earth would that be? Are U.S. lifters just uniquely gifted with nerves of steel and the ability to replicate training lifts? Even Abadjiev has agreed that lifters from other countries are pretty much able to take drugs freely until a several weeks before tested competition.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #40
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Why the US Sucks at Olympic Lifting: Part 3 | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

Why the US Sucks at Olympic Lifting: Part 5 | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald