Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:47 AM   #21
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Part 2 is up. I didn't read it yet.

Why the US Sucks at Olympic Lifting: Part 2 | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

There are a lot of reasons. Not sure if he got to "we don't care" yet. Someone let me know if you see this reason.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2011, 07:53 AM   #22
MikeC
Uber Brawn
Points: 5,424, Level: 47 Points: 5,424, Level: 47 Points: 5,424, Level: 47
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

MikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin.j.taylor View Post
1. Lyle is a complete DB, I have interacted with him on other sites. He has a good brain as far as nutrition and exercise, but cant apply it for himself.
I don't really follow him. Any good examples of your interactions?
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:02 AM   #23
austin.j.taylor
Fat, Pale, Weak
Max Brawn
Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Beer
austin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
I don't really follow him. Any good examples of your interactions?
I know he solicited sex with a 17 year old girl on another site I visit. He is 40 something.

He is also very condescending to anyone who questions anything he posts or wants clarification about his ideas.
austin.j.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:29 AM   #24
Wlfdg
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19

Training Exp: 34
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Snatch
Fav Supp: Elk
Wlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Part 2 is up. I didn't read it yet.

Why the US Sucks at Olympic Lifting: Part 2 | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

There are a lot of reasons. Not sure if he got to "we don't care" yet. Someone let me know if you see this reason.
It'll be interesting how he wraps the Kenyans up with us sucking at Oly competition

"There's no such thing as shaping and toning. Only stronger and weaker." -Mark Rippetoe
Wlfdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #25
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I assume the Kenyans as a country are very passionate about running and take great pride in their success...

Old 08-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #26
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Quote:
I assume the Kenyans as a country are very passionate about running and take great pride in their success...
^^^ This. Besides, I would imagine it would be very difficult for the average Kenyan to find a decent gym and coach to start lifting competitively. I know from first hand experience that this is the case, especially with the small towns in India, and I can very well imagine that the situation in Kenya would be the same.

They have been successful at a sport (running) that requires bare minimal equipment, and because of their past success, have some infrastructure in place to support the budding athletes.

In the poorer countries, getting in two square meals a day is a struggle for the vast majority of the population. This precludes most of the talent there from a decent nutrition, without which you can go only so far, especially in the international level. Given the socio-economic situation, most of the population in a poorer country is concerned with fending for themselves and their families than take up sports, which require a huge time commitment before you start making enough money from it. Getting an education and finding a 8-5 job that pays the bills is what people look in these places. Is it a surprise, that in almost any sport requiring decent infrastructure, it is only the countries with a decent level of development who do well? There is a good reason why the ancient Romans looked at sports as a measure of development of a country.

Besides, US didn't always suck at Olympic lifting. The likes of Tommy Kono, Paul Anderson and Norbert Schemansky were Americans who won multiple medals in the Olympics. I agree with whoever said that a shift in interest to other sports (that pay much better and are more popular with spectators) was responsible.

I have seen this happen in India in case of field hockey. About the time when US was a strong force in Olympic weightlifting, the Indian hockey squad was dominating the international scene too. Just as a shift of interest to NFL, powerlifting etc led to a decline in Olympic weightlifting, a shift to cricket.

Cricket is a sport that is big in only about 9-10 countries or so - India, Pakistan, England, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, West Indies (the Caribbean countries come together to make a single team), Bangladesh, Sri Lanka. Yet, India is the biggest money spinner, with the highest paid players. Lo and behold, the Indian cricket team took rapid strides forward while the Indian field hockey team fell way behind the international competition.

Athletes good at one sport, are often good at a number of other sports. But when one particular sport becomes attractive, the best talent is attracted there, thereby bringing down the level of talent available to the other sports.
kitarpyar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #27
Wlfdg
Uber Brawn

Wlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
Besides, US didn't always suck at Olympic lifting. The likes of Tommy Kono, Paul Anderson and Norbert Schemansky were Americans who won multiple medals in the Olympics. I agree with whoever said that a shift in interest to other sports (that pay much better and are more popular with spectators) was responsible.
I've read posts by some "authorities" saying we weren't very good then either. Everyone else was just really bad.

"There's no such thing as shaping and toning. Only stronger and weaker." -Mark Rippetoe
Old 08-04-2011, 11:05 AM   #28
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post

Athletes good at one sport, are often good at a number of other sports. But when one particular sport becomes attractive, the best talent is attracted there, thereby bringing down the level of talent available to the other sports.
Excellent post, and this last quote really sums it up nicely.

Quote:
There is a good reason why the ancient Romans looked at sports as a measure of development of a country.
Very good point.

Along these lines, post-1950 I think things in the USA became gradually more comfortable. Correct me if I'm wrong here. As the comfort level grew, so did interest in sports on the big level. Football, basketball, hockey all expanded into greater degrees of prominence.

Heck, we have countless college teams that pack large arenas night in and night out.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:26 AM   #29
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfdg View Post
I've read posts by some "authorities" saying we weren't very good then either. Everyone else was just really bad.
"authorities" my ass. It's like history being written by the winners, in reverse! Kono, the Georges, Anderson, etc. kicked the asses that were in front of them at the time, usually right there in their own countries to boot. Some of their records are still shocking to this day given the equipment they used.

I'd be shocked to see any credible source that doubted their overall success as being the result of the rest of the world sucking.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:35 AM   #30
Wlfdg
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Along these lines, post-1950 I think things in the USA became gradually more comfortable. Correct me if I'm wrong here. As the comfort level grew, so did interest in sports on the big level. Football, basketball, hockey all expanded into greater degrees of prominence.
I wonder if the development of the television had anything to do wth it?