Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Andy Bolton squats (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6790)

swoleramon 07-14-2011 09:00 AM

Andy Bolton squats

Can anyone tell me why Andy Bolton doesn't squat to parallel? Is it because his squat suit is preventing him from hitting proper depth?

Off Road 07-14-2011 09:12 AM

He squats low enough to get the knee in line with the hip crease. He only wants to go low enough to get white lights at the comps.

Isaku900 07-14-2011 09:21 AM

well in that particular video, not nearly enough weight to get depth in his gear.

on the platform, he tends to squat a little high, but thankfully the Europeans don't generally allow squats as high as say...the SPF. But it is notable that Bolton's biggest squat was in the WPO and was high.

swoleramon 07-14-2011 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off Road (Post 152651)
He squats low enough to get the knee in line with the hip crease. He only wants to go low enough to get white lights at the comps.

That's what I was watching and it looks real high. Is it just the camera angle?

Off Road 07-14-2011 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swoleramon (Post 152657)
That's what I was watching and it looks real high. Is it just the camera angle?

Talking about and judging depth is always a tricky subject on forums. But he has a guy watching his depth and giving him commands, so he's obviously going to the depth he was looking for. I'm not a judge and I don't compete, so I'm not going to call it. But I think the explanation I gave is reasonable. I've heard it said that you want to squat just low enough to get two out of three judges to pass it.

Aurik 07-14-2011 09:50 AM

I didn't have any sound in that vid, but it did look like he had the guys on the side calling depth for him. So if he WAS above parallel (hard to see from those angles), it's as much their fault as it is his.

BendtheBar 07-14-2011 09:57 AM

No sound for me either. Maybe Youtube nailed him.

J_Byrd 07-21-2011 12:57 PM

Just not enough weight on the bar for the gear he is wearing. They are a few inches high. Could be breaking in breifs/suit.

BendtheBar 07-21-2011 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Byrd (Post 154842)
Just not enough weight on the bar for the gear he is wearing. They are a few inches high. Could be breaking in breifs/suit.

That makes sense.

Boucher 07-24-2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Byrd (Post 154842)

I have read a bit about squat suits, but do not know a lot about them. Are the suits themselves so thick and tight that you literally can't get depth without enough weight despite how hard you try?