Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #1
mab54
Max Brawn
Points: 7,329, Level: 56 Points: 7,329, Level: 56 Points: 7,329, Level: 56
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Scivation whey
mab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machine
Smile Hepburn's Law

I have been reading around a bit and have become obsessed with Doug Hepburn and his style of training.

mon/thurs
bench
squat

tues/fri
deadlift
overhead press

2/2/2/2/2/2/2/2
3/2/2/2/2/2/2/2
3/3/2/2/2/2/2/2 and so followed by with 50%-65% of work weight later on in the workout

6/6/6
7/6/6
7/7/6 and so on to 8/8/8

i was just wondering if this style of training would be any good for powerlifting since i love old time strongmen.

also i love bodyweight exercises like chinups and dips and if i could some how incorporate them in maybe with 4x10 or something. Just wondering everones opinion on it any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by mab54; 07-09-2011 at 12:57 PM.
mab54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab54 View Post

i was just wondering if this style of training would be any good for powerlifting since i love old time strongmen.

also i love bodyweight exercises like chinups and dips and if i could some how incorporate them in maybe with 4x10 or something. Just wondering everones opinion on it any help would be appreciated.
I am obsessed with Doug a bit myself.

Is it good for powerlifting? I think it's a great intermediate approach. Ride progression until it runs out of gas.

Dips and pullups are always a great addition. You could simply do a 3 day per week, or 3 day per week alternating A/B style using Doug's methods.

Squats 8 x 2
OHP 8 x 2
More Squats (using Doug's protocol for dropping weight and doing rep work)
Calf Raises or leg curls.

Deadlifts 8 x 2
Bench Press 8 x 2
Pullups
Dips

If you didn't want to do more squats, Doug advocated leg curls.

There are many ways to structure this. You could do OHP with deadlifts and bench with squats...

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #3
mab54
Max Brawn

mab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machine

Thanks for the quick reply, i see you just have the 8x3 but not the 3x8/pump work. Would that be to much volume, because I remember reading somewhere about how later on in his life he thought that the pump work was to much work for one day so he split the workout up.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply, i see you just have the 8x3 but not the 3x8/pump work. Would that be to much volume, because I remember reading somewhere about how later on in his life he thought that the pump work was to much work for one day so he split the workout up.
Glad to help.

I wouldn't add in the 3x8 for, say, bench if you want to do dips. I would do either/or.

Same for pullups...I would either do 3x8 for pullups or 3x8 for barbell rows. I personally wouldn't advocate a 3x8 on deadlifts. Doug was a beast, and after an 8x2-3 on deads, I think that's plenty.

Squats you could do an 3x8. Same with OHP. Just depends how badly you want to add in bodyweight work (which I believe is a good choice).

I wouldn't worry so much about the 3x8. Use those exercises for whichever you prefer...dips, pullups, etc. I think the 8/2-3 alone will serve you very well.

If you do feel like you need more benching, then flip-flop the 3x8 dips and bench every other workout.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
CoopDawg
Max Brawn
Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

I had the ebook of this until my computer crashed an i lost everything, great book
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether itís lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Heís slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #6
mab54
Max Brawn

Thanks again Bendthebar, just one more question lol. I was reading around on the internet a few days ago and I came across an article about him. I bookmarked to read today and i just looked at it and it was by you. In the article you say mon/thur bench squat tues/fri ohp deadlift.

I was just wondering if i could do an upper lower split or would doing deads twice a week be to much?

and CoopDawg I read the ebook to it was really good!!
Old 07-10-2011, 03:46 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Thanks again Bendthebar, just one more question lol. I was reading around on the internet a few days ago and I came across an article about him. I bookmarked to read today and i just looked at it and it was by you. In the article you say mon/thur bench squat tues/fri ohp deadlift.

I was just wondering if i could do an upper lower split or would doing deads twice a week be to much?
Sorry for the slow response.

Deads twice a week can be too much if you have developed a good level of strength. If you are still a novice to early intermediate you should eb able to deadlift twice a week if your form is good.

What's your estimated deadlift max right now?

Old 07-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
mab54
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Sorry for the slow response.

Deads twice a week can be too much if you have developed a good level of strength. If you are still a novice to early intermediate you should eb able to deadlift twice a week if your form is good.

What's your estimated deadlift max right now?
No problem about the response im not running this till aug.

My best DL is 450 but last time I tried I got 430 past the knees but couldn't lockout. few bad weeks
Old 07-10-2011, 04:32 PM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
No problem about the response im not running this till aug.

My best DL is 450 but last time I tried I got 430 past the knees but couldn't lockout. few bad weeks
That's a strong lift.

I personally wouldn't advocate deadlift more than once a week Hepburn style with that total.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:40 PM   #10
mab54
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
That's a strong lift.

I personally wouldn't advocate deadlift more than once a week Hepburn style with that total.
OK I guess it was to much to hope for. ( I love to DL) Thanks for all the help and can't wait to try out this routine!!