Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:07 AM   #11
austin.j.taylor
Fat, Pale, Weak
Max Brawn
Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Beer
austin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machine

I have always though leg curls are pretty worthless. I stick to SLDL and RDL's for hamstring work. Trust me after a super heavy set of RDL's you wont ever want to look at a hamstring curl machine again.

Also if you have or can make a GHR they are supposed to be great for hamstring strength. I plan to start using these once my knee gets a touch better.
austin.j.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2011, 11:09 AM   #12
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

It's definitely not from overworking. I don't do many sets at all.

My warm ups take about 25 to 30 minutes before my first set of heavy squats. I am more cautious with warming up than most lifters I know.

My impression is that (for me) the leg curls are detrimental to the tendons, connective tissue, etc. and I wanted to see if anyone else shared the same opinion.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:10 AM   #13
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin.j.taylor View Post
I have always though leg curls are pretty worthless. I stick to SLDL and RDL's for hamstring work. Trust me after a super heavy set of RDL's you wont ever want to look at a hamstring curl machine again.
RDLs were a staple but last year I ran into a pretty annoying hamstring strain from heavy RDLs so I had to get away from them for a while.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #14
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
My impression is that (for me) the leg curls are detrimental to the tendons, connective tissue, etc. and I wanted to see if anyone else shared the same opinion.
I don't believe that they necessarily are. I mean, any exercise can be detrimental, but generally (not always) that can be narrowed down to user error. I think if they are sparse in your normal routine and your training them heavy, its asking for injury. Just like it would be with any exercise, regardless of how easy it may seem with lower weights.

Last edited by Shadowschmadow; 06-23-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Shadowschmadow is offline   Reply With Quote