Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #11
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin.j.taylor View Post
The hardest thing for someone who wants to transition to strongman is how unimportant benching actually is. I have been running 5/3/1 with bench turned down to about 60%. I did this for two reasons, 1-to focus on OH strength, 2-because benching does very little in strongman. My press is damn near what my bench is right now. I really only bench to help balance out the power between my back and my front.

I would split the exercises you have up there like this:
Tuesday: Push press and CGBP or tricep work
Thursday: Bench and Rows

Here is what I am currently running:
Monday: Squat with leg press and some sort of clean variation
Tuesday: Push Press with CGBP or more push press and sometimes power snatches and high rep hammer curls
Wednesday: off
Thursday: Bench with rows, chins, and BB curls (My bench work is light enough that recovery isnt a problem from Tuesday, but you could flip this and fridays workout if you like)
Friday: Deadlift with RDL/SLDL and shrugs with powercleans as my warmup
Saturday: Events training-always try to do at least one overhead event, one moving event, and lung busting event
Sunday-chicken wings and beers
I like the way you split things, except I am not sure about deadlifting the day before strongman events. Most of the events are really taxing on your core, and involve picking something up off the ground. Such as stones, farmers, cleans. A lot of strongman stuff using a lot of lower back strenth.

The guys that I have trained strongman with before, do squats and deads towards the middle of the week. This way your legs are recovered for your strongman workout and also your legs will recover before your squat workout.

By the way guys, I am looking into buying a strongman log or getting it for my birthday.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:19 PM   #12
austin.j.taylor
Fat, Pale, Weak
Max Brawn
Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Beer
austin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
I like the way you split things, except I am not sure about deadlifting the day before strongman events. Most of the events are really taxing on your core, and involve picking something up off the ground. Such as stones, farmers, cleans. A lot of strongman stuff using a lot of lower back strenth.

The guys that I have trained strongman with before, do squats and deads towards the middle of the week. This way your legs are recovered for your strongman workout and also your legs will recover before your squat workout.

By the way guys, I am looking into buying a strongman log or getting it for my birthday.
I dont really have problem with deads and then strongman the next day. I notice a little fatigue in stone loading, but I feel that help simulate a comp pretty good. You arent ever going to do stones at a comp when fresh.
austin.j.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:26 PM   #13
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

I think your Sunday session is AWESOME Austin, definitely a part of strongman i could get in on

Carl
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:21 PM   #14
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:

I really want one to play around with myself.

Probably after I get some bumper plates.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #15
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

A beginner should work on technique which is (low reps high sets.)
An intermediate lifter should work on moving heavy poundage.(low reps low sets)
An advanced lifter should focus on speed, endurance & conditioning. (reps-sets vary)

Days depends on person and how well they recover,however I do suggest 2-3 days of fast walking G.P.P as a bare minimum in between lifting days; or light events if possible @ 30% no more then 50% for repetition method and dynamic effort.

I will now list the most effective gym movements that translates into Strongman.

Stiff Legged & Romanian Deadlifts (8-15+reps)
Front Squats (3reps) & ATG Back Squats (5+reps) Lunges(10-20reps each leg)
NG Bench Press (1-15reps)
DB Strict Press (3-8+reps)
Push Press @ 50-75% for high sets, low reps. i.e.(8x3)
Karlesen Flyes,Upright rows/High Pulls, Side/Rear delt raises, crucifix holds
Arm-Wrestler Curls, Hammer Curls, log/curls
Pull Ups/Chin Ups/Dips
Hypers/Reverse Hypers
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:15 AM   #16
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Quote:
I dont really have problem with deads and then strongman the next day. I notice a little fatigue in stone loading, but I feel that help simulate a comp pretty good. You arent ever going to do stones at a comp when fresh.
I see your point here. Whatever works for you, I just know the day after I deadlift sometimes I can barely tie my shoes.

Very good point about already being fatigued at a competition.

Very close to ordering the log, had contact with Alan at Pitbull Strongman Equip so I will probably order it before the end of the day

Edit: Strongman log has been ordered, Pitbulls' econo log, 4 ft 10 inch log. I can not wait.

Last edited by jwood; 06-24-2011 at 11:21 AM.
jwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:24 AM   #17
austin.j.taylor
Fat, Pale, Weak
Max Brawn
Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Supp: Beer
austin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1174 View Post
I think your Sunday session is AWESOME Austin, definitely a part of strongman i could get in on

Carl
Its my favorite part as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I really want one to play around with myself.

Probably after I get some bumper plates.
Quote:
I see your point here. Whatever works for you, I just know the day after I deadlift sometimes I can barely tie my shoes.

Very good point about already being fatigued at a competition.

Very close to ordering the log, had contact with Alan at Pitbull Strongman Equip so I will probably order it before the end of the day

Edit: Strongman log has been ordered, Pitbulls' econo log, 4 ft 10 inch log. I can not wait.
I have pitbulls 12 3/4 inch log. Its as good a piece as you could ever hope for. I cant believe he sells his stuff as the price he charges for as good of quality as it is. My log has been through me beating it weekly and we used it at a competition as well. It in great shape with no problems and its been dropped more than a few times while loaded with steel plates. I am planning on ordering his farmers and a yoke from him when I get the cash secured. I believe you ordered the 10 inch log. One of my training buddies has that log and its a great piece as well.
austin.j.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:24 AM   #18
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts
Default "BUMP"

Guys, it would be great to have more discussion on this thread.

Re-reading Steve's original post, where he outlines the weekly structure, it became apparent to me that he developed it with my SMWA training schedule in mind (Saturdays). And the below template is almost exactly the same as my current Chest and Shoulder routine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
For example, on bench day I might do the following: (I have limited equipment, remember)

--Bench Press
--Push Press
--Barbell or Dumbbell Row
--Closegrip Bench Press or Dumbbell Bench Press or Heavy Tricep Exercise

You could also do shoulder prehab/rehab, and/or facepulls or rear delt work.
I don't want to seem like I'm flaking on my routine - I'm not. I need to work properly to demonstrate that gains are still being made.

That aside, when it is time to move into a new training regimen altogether (and that may be soon) I would like to get it sorted now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfdg View Post
My feeling is that since strongman has a greater skill component it should get more time devoted to it.
I wouldn't directly train abs since strongman training is so stimulating the thoracic stabilizers.
Thanks for this Wlfdg - I like the aversion to abs training because I hate abs training. I have core strength, and I know it, from the heavy compounds and some triceps work. And I'd like more info on the bold bit if possible?
Quote:
The hardest thing for someone who wants to transition to strongman is how unimportant benching actually is. I have been running 5/3/1 with bench turned down to about 60%. I did this for two reasons, 1-to focus on OH strength, 2-because benching does very little in strongman. My press is damn near what my bench is right now. I really only bench to help balance out the power between my back and my front.

I would split the exercises you have up there like this:
Tuesday: Push press and CGBP or tricep work
Thursday: Bench and Rows

Here is what I am currently running:
Monday: Squat with leg press and some sort of clean variation
Tuesday: Push Press with CGBP or more push press and sometimes power snatches and high rep hammer curls
Wednesday: off
Thursday: Bench with rows, chins, and BB curls (My bench work is light enough that recovery isnt a problem from Tuesday, but you could flip this and fridays workout if you like)
Friday: Deadlift with RDL/SLDL and shrugs with powercleans as my warmup
Saturday: Events training-always try to do at least one overhead event, one moving event, and lung busting event
Sunday-chicken wings and beers
Austin, thanks for your input too - I know you have some experience here.

I'd like to know how dramatically different a routine needs to be in order to satisfy SM training goals, and why. Keeping in mind I can only train specialty SM stuff on weekends. I can of course post up my routines as they look now, but the oldies have seen them ad nausea and the newbs just need to click the link in my sig.

It may be time for a change, fellas. Any advice is always appreciated.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:46 AM   #19
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts
Default Initial questions:

To begin, from what I've read, Chest and Shoulder day can remain pretty much unchanged. But what about Back and Shoulder day?

Back day involves deadlifts and has Facepulls as the delt component; are these still effective here?

I know that direct bicep work is not going to be a priority (not that it ever has been - my routine involves only 3 sets of curls per week (and with my sporadic training it's more like per fortnight).

My Legs routine also has 4 sets of trap work and some wrist curls (drop them too?), and it's a pretty full-on routine with 20 working sets.

So, my questions are:

1. Can my Chest routine stay unchanged?

2. Does the Back routine need new exercises, and where should the facepulls go?

3. Is direct bicep work to be scrapped entirely? If so, where do I allocate triceps exercises without overloading my Chest day?

4. Should wrist curls be scrapped too, or is there an advantage for SM to have developed wrist strength (I'm thinking for Atlas stones etc)?

5. And how about Legs and Traps day - what needs changing?

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:59 AM   #20
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
To begin, from what I've read, Chest and Shoulder day can remain pretty much unchanged. But what about Back and Shoulder day?

Back day involves deadlifts and has Facepulls as the delt component; are these still effective here?

I know that direct bicep work is not going to be a priority (not that it ever has been - my routine involves only 3 sets of curls per week (and with my sporadic training it's more like per fortnight).

My Legs routine also has 4 sets of trap work and some wrist curls (drop them too?), and it's a pretty full-on routine with 20 working sets.

So, my questions are:

1. Can my Chest routine stay unchanged?

I would focus more on overhead pressing with bench press as an assistance for strongman as I don't think they ever compete in horizontal pressing, always vertical.

2. Does the Back routine need new exercises, and where should the facepulls go?

Facepulls are good for shoulder health. I like doing them after pressing.

3. Is direct bicep work to be scrapped entirely? If so, where do I allocate triceps exercises without overloading my Chest day?

You need to keep curling to help prevent biceps tears when doing crazy stuff like stones.

4. Should wrist curls be scrapped too, or is there an advantage for SM to have developed wrist strength (I'm thinking for Atlas stones etc)?

IMO Wrist curls are a pointless exercises for everyone. Definitely get rid of them.

5. And how about Legs and Traps day - what needs changing?
More squatting

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote