Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Underused Powerlifting Exercise

I thought this would be a good idea for a poll/opinion thread:

Which do you feel is the most underused assistance exercise for strength building/powerlifting?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Ive just recently started to do GHR's on a regular basis and it have had a good impact on my squat so far.

My bench started to move again when i begun to do heavy ass seated MP's.

Seated MP's and GHR's FTW!
Old 05-17-2011, 09:57 PM   #3
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
My bench started to move again when i begun to do heavy ass seated MP's.
Seated MP's and GHR's FTW!
I've been wondering about MP (military) press vs OH (overhead) press, and what exactly the distinction is?

I always thought that Military press required a standing position, and OH press typically uses a seated position... is this not the case?

RE: building real strength, many people don't use bent over DB rows, or don't perform the correctly at least.

Before I had the means to deadlift, I built some great strength and mass using heavy (50 kg) DB BER's!

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
I've been wondering about MP (military) press vs OH (overhead) press, and what exactly the distinction is?

I always thought that Military press required a standing position, and OH press typically uses a seated position... is this not the case?
Military Presses are done with your heels together (hence "military;" like you're standing at attention) and ZERO leg drive, leg movement, or any other body assistance beyond pushing straight up. You have to keep your body very rigid to do them properly (and man, do they ever humble you...) but they're great for your shoulders. A staple of many strongmen back in the 40's-60's. (though I prefer push-presses)

OHP is less strict; you still don't use leg drive, but your feet can be spaced out some. Just a straight press up in a standing position.

I'm going to say that not enough people do pull-ups; especially weighted.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I'd have to agree with Swede on the GHR. It seems popular to have a GHR bench in the US but in the UK, you have to ghetto it up meaning not everyone has tried them. I'd also throw in a special mention for lat' work: both pulldowns and pull ups. If you want to stabilise a squat bar, bench with the right bar path and, to a lesser extent, finish your pulls, you need lat's.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:08 PM   #6
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Push ups, Chin ups, and Inverted Rows.

I like GHRs, too! But those were taken!
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:34 PM   #7
Aurik
SFHW = Win
Max Brawn
Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 1-2
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Kettlebells, for now
Fav Supp: XTend
Aurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributor

Try heavy dumbbell step-ups. Done properly they'll hit your quads, traps, and grip pretty damn hard. And they're a lot easier to load than the leg press
Aurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:47 PM   #8
austin.j.taylor
Fat, Pale, Weak
Max Brawn
Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Beer
austin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machine

I am going to go with power cleans. Building that explosive power should be important to any lifter. I have noticed that my overall bar speed has improved a lot since i have included power cleans.

I also agree that ghr's, chin/pulls, and pressing should be a staple in anyones routine.
austin.j.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:34 AM   #9
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Anything involving grip. The harder you squeeze the bar the easier a Squat, Bench or Deadlift should feel. I am guilty of only working the "palm" grip & only secondary at that.

I plan on using the "finger" grip lots more in the future, and even when I switch to my mini "bodybuilding" phase after my meet for a full month to win the transformation contests I am entered in, I will be using the thick handles on the stupid cable machines I will be ending my free weight "work outs" to annihilate the PUMP!
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:34 AM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I am going with good mornings. The average strength trainee doesn't use them and when they do, the good mornings are often performed incorrectly.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote