Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Barbell Static Holds

What are your thoughts on the value of static barbell holds for grip strength?

Every used them? Think there is a better method to improve poor grip strength?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I prefer moves where you're actually moving the weight. Dumbell rows are awesome for grip. Do them dead stop so you rest the bell on the floor in between rep's which will allow you to push past regular grip failure. Heavy strapless dead's also fixed my grip. Train your grip doing what it's meant to do I think.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
What are your thoughts on the value of static barbell holds for grip strength?

Every used them? Think there is a better method to improve poor grip strength?
I do them once in a while and I like em. Overhand-grip DL's and heavy cleans are good to improve gripstrength, I never do much isolation work for the grip, I just never DL with straps and that seems to work so far.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

I've honestly never tried static holds. However, as of late I've just been doing "heavy" db shrugs with no straps as extra grip training. Seems to work well.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:17 AM   #5
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

How big are your hands, though? I think this is a much bigger problem for guys like me that have small hands/smaller bone bodies.

On a normal bar, I can only wrap my thumb under my first finger in a hook grip for example. I can grab it in a hook with my FU finger if I'm not going that heavy, but heavy weights and I can't keep it under, it slides out.

So, if I'm going normal grip, my thumbs are obviously not overlapping any fingers all that usefully, fingers are doing pretty much all the work. And indeed I have pulled off bodyweight and above deadlifts with just fingers on the bar.

I'm just saying grip is way more of problem for smaller bone people, and I've done everything (I think) from DB farmer walks to big bar static holds to stiff deadlifts with overhand grip to timed bodyweight bar hangs, etc.

I'd be willing to bet guys with bigger hands than me have never done as much grip work as I have, but that's not really the point.

The point is what is the best grip exercise? I like the idea of doing the exercise that requires said grip strength, but then again, my grip fails before my strength does. For those of you where your strength fails first, imagine it the other way around. What did you do?
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

I do static holds at a slightly lower weight than my max.
I also do barbell finger rolls which I think tax the forearm a lot more than the static hold.
And, I also do the deadlifts.

I think the 3 combined all help with grip; I can't say how much each one helps because I do all 3 anyway, so it's impossible to isolate any specific exercise that has improved the grip.

I did read, however, and it is a very pertinent point, if a person is unable to hold a barbell (weighted) for the duration of the time it would take them to deadlift it and set it down, then they will be unable to do the lift; so, for that reason, I started doing static holds at a lesser max but for as long as I could hold the barbell which I think transfers across quite well to the higher load with a lesser time duration, the actual lift itself.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:15 AM   #7
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

I think heavy rack pulls help a good deal with grip strength. This allows you to handle more weight then you will be pulling. Also make sure you have filed off all the callus off your hands.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:04 AM   #8
Isaku900
Wild Iron Gym
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,239, Level: 19 Points: 1,239, Level: 19 Points: 1,239, Level: 19
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 10+
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: Big 3
Isaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good posts

the only deadlift grip work I do is barbell holds.

I just hold my last few reps for a 10 count when I'm doing speed pulls.

I also hold my last reps for a bit when I'm doing a drop set after a max pull.

Become a fan of Wild Iron Gym on Facebook:
Isaku900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:11 AM   #9
ILoveLifting
Strength Fiend
Max Brawn
Points: 2,129, Level: 27 Points: 2,129, Level: 27 Points: 2,129, Level: 27
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Supp: New York Strips and V8
ILoveLifting is off to a bad start

I trained 'static contraction'(only) for about 6 weeks a while back and found as weeks progressed that i was beginning to lose my full range of motion strenght. The position at which i was holding the weight continued to grow stronger though.
ILoveLifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:11 AM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I have small hands and grip can be an issue for me. Or was an issue for me.

I don't go out of my way to do extra static holds, but I will hold the bar at the top of a heavy lift, or on heavy shrugs from time to time.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote