Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   John Broz on Squatting (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5852)

BendtheBar 04-13-2011 08:20 AM

John Broz on Squatting

Since John Broz was mentioned, here goes:

Quote:

he John Broz Method For Average Joes

John Broz says that the squat is actually an easy movement to train daily because it involves little local fatigue (unlike a bench press, for example). Start by squatting every workout. This doesn't need to be a maximum effort, but getting used to doing the movement is important. Keep repetitions low (one to five) and train even when sore from the previous session. It should be possible to work up to squatting every day in a relatively short time.

Once an athlete becomes used to squatting daily, each session should look something like this.

* squat, working up to a daily max
* squat, six to 50 repetitions of doubles and triples working back up beyond the daily max if the weight starts to feel light
* assistance or bodybuilding work, but only if time and energy permit

The John Broz system is certainly controversial and goes against many things held to be true. However, it is also certain that most trainers never really test their capacity for hard work. Spending more time in the squat rack will lead to bigger lifts and improved development for anyone.

BendtheBar 04-13-2011 08:20 AM

John Broz on squats:

Quote:

Squats take no or very little mental energy or stress on the CNS. squatting heavy should become as regular as a walk down the street.

LtL 04-13-2011 08:24 AM

John Broz definitely gets results from VERY simplified training.

LtL

BendtheBar 04-13-2011 08:29 AM

John Broz to BendtheBar:

Quote:

Did it ever occur to you that you might be partially responsible for the weakening of America?
I take full responsibility.

Carl1174 04-13-2011 08:38 AM

erm..... i am speachless....

Quote:

Squats take no or very little mental energy or stress on the CNS
Quote:

the squat is actually an easy movement to train daily because it involves little local fatigue (unlike a bench press, for example).
Quote:

and train even when sore from the previous session. It should be possible to work up to squatting every day in a relatively short time.
?????

Carl.

BendtheBar 04-13-2011 08:42 AM

Many kids are taking his teachings out of context and try to apply Brozian thought foolishly. It might take years to squat heavy that many times per week.

It might also involve freaky genetics and "enhancement".

It all comes back to Bulgarian training...some can hang, most couldn't. If you can, have at it. But be warned you are walking on a tightrope one mile above the earth.

IronManlet 04-13-2011 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl1174 (Post 128886)
erm..... i am speachless....

?????

Carl.

Your quadriceps can take a tremendous pounding. Not only that, but check this out: Q&A

That ^ combined with some of Jamie Lewis' blog posts made me rethink a lot about overtraining and how often you can actually push yourself to the limit. I find that it's all about 90% mental. Not even exaggerating; it is THAT important.

LtL 04-13-2011 08:47 AM

Notice how Broz's group of successful lifters is very small in numbers. Most drop by the wayside.

LtL

IronManlet 04-13-2011 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LtL (Post 128893)
Notice how Broz's group of successful lifters is very small in numbers. Most drop by the wayside.

LtL

Yep. It's definitely not easy.

You gotta hand it to Broz though, at least he's trying to field a good American Oly team. They were kicking ass in the 50's, but now it's all about the Chinese, Russians, etc.

BendtheBar 04-13-2011 09:26 AM

I will agree that success is mental. Without drive and persistence you won't succeed.

I do think when we talk overtraining, we need to look at all sides of the issue. If you push too hard for too long you will get injured, unless you are a freak. And most of us are not.

I have spent years in the trenches pushing close to the edge. Too much heavy work injures me. It injures most of us. You can feel you are in control, but you're not. You will have that moment, out of the blue, where you get a really horrendous strain that can unhinge you for 4-6 months. I know because I have been there several times.

If you line up 100 guys and have them march 20 miles each day while drinking only 16 ounces of water and eating a cupcake, the last man to survive this journey is a freak, not the norm. If you want to mimic his behavior, you must embrace the reality that there is a 99% chance you will fail. I am not telling you "don't try." I am telling you that if you think you can squat heavy 6 times a week, at least own the possibility that something will go wrong.

Very few of us are top level Olympic lifters. Most of us have wives, families and can't risk severe injury or being away from work. Call me a pussy if you will, but I am a man and I have responsibilities away from lifting. I can't devote 7 days a week to lifting, nor do I want to risk injuring myself.

I respect the athletes that get to that level. But in my universe the risk highly outweighs the reward.