Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   How do you warmup before squatting? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5815)

big_swede 04-08-2011 05:21 PM

How do you warmup before squatting?

How do you warm up and stretch before squatting?

5kgLifter 04-08-2011 05:24 PM

I normally just do some lighter squats and non-weighted squats and prior to that some dynamic shoulder loosening style exercise, in the form of shoulder circles etc.

BendtheBar 04-08-2011 05:26 PM

I don't stretch, but I do plenty of warmup sets.

Usually:

Bar x 10 (These are ATG...sinking deep)
145 x 5 (These are ATG...sinking deep)
235 x 3
285 x 3
315 x 1
...and then up to working weight.

big_swede 04-08-2011 05:36 PM

Good replys. Im having problem going even near paralell on my first warmup sets so i squat / stretch / squat / stretch untill im rock bottom. I varies but can take up to 5 sets on bad days to go deep.

5kgLifter 04-08-2011 06:00 PM

Is this of any help? From about 2:55 mins in:

dmaipa 04-08-2011 07:46 PM

Usually do some dynamic stretching and lighter squat sets before my work sets. Even latetly when I've been doin leg extensions as warm ups I still do the stretching and light sets for squats

MikeM 04-08-2011 07:58 PM

Sometimes when I'm having a very bad day warming up, I grab a 40-50 DB and goblet squat and just sit there for 30-40 seconds, pushing my knees out with my elbows, getting a feel for the bottom position. I think that works because my problems are usually more back than hamstring.

If it's a hamstring tightness issue, I think some big leg swings and some high knee running in place would work prettty well too. I used to do those when I had tight hamstrings before running or soccer.

I normally do bodyweight warmups and empty/ lightweight bar work to warmup, too. But, I hear you about when sometimes that is simply not enough for my creaky bones. :)

Hope that helps!

Chillen 04-08-2011 10:14 PM

I typically, use 3 to 4 warmup sets of the type of squat I am performing. It's pretty much the same for each exercise I perform, with 2 exceptions. As I progress (rep and/or weight on the bar) in the main lift I am warming up to, the warmup sets also increase slightly as well. Pretty basic.

Peace and happiness brothers.

Vitality!

Aurik 04-08-2011 10:26 PM

I generally start with a few mins on a recumbent bike to get the knees warmed up and heart rate up, then do some straight leg swings (front/front and side/side) to open up the hips somewhat. Then I start squatting sets of 5, starting with 2 sets on an empty bar, and then add 25's/45's until I'm at about 50% of my working weight. Once I get past 50% of my working weight I drop the reps to 3/2/1 reps or so. Usually I'm really stiff until I get to at least 135 or so.