Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
strkout35
Max Brawn
Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

strkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machine
Default I wanna be strong!

Okay so my pledging things should be ending in the next few weeks so i'm starting to think about lifting again. My goal when i get back is basically to get strong as ****. Putting on muscle is nice too, but i'm really just trying to throw around some heavy ass weights.

So I need opinions, should I start up again with the Reeves routine or use a slightly different full-body scheme with lower reps and heavy ass weight? I have the urge to start using low reps and really push for weight but if you guys think the Reeves routine is still better for me then I'll do that. I know for sure i'm sticking with full-body, but i'd like to brainstorm a few ideas.

Thanks for the help as always

_________Goals:__
Squat:______275
Deadlift:_____315
Bench:______185
Press:_______135

"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe"
strkout35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #2
ForwardMotionStruggle
Strugglin'
Brawn
Points: 518, Level: 10 Points: 518, Level: 10 Points: 518, Level: 10
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: Not enough.
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
ForwardMotionStruggle is off to a bad start

I have the same goal sir.
Personally, I like lower reps and push heavy (to me) weights.
ForwardMotionStruggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I would probably consider a more streamlined 5x5, and a consistent progression scheme. Possibly something similar to Starr.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 04-04-2011 at 08:31 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

Lots of reps, heavy ass weight.
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

What has the passed personal training and diet history taught you? Always give yourself time to: Educate yourself in what you are attempting to do or want to do.

Other than you Journal Log (which I skimmed through), have you kept weight training logs (while training to record reps, increases in weight on the bar, plateaus, etc, etc) and/or dietary logs?

I ask this because this information can assist in making future personal decisions: When things are going right and when things (such as weight gain/loss, strength gain/loss, muscle gain/loss) are not going to what you personally want/desire. One can simplly base decisions from this, rather than thin f'n air.

Have you approximated your personal calorie needs? Do you understand the basic mechanics of calorie and macro needs? Do you take the time to study (things associated with what you want to do) from reputatable web sites or books?

For example, you calculated your personal calorie needs, and determined your maintenance line, and decided (with your "personal" activity and training in mind) that you want to be +500c over maintenance to gain some weight.

You write the numerical calorie figures every day. After a time (say two to three weeks approximately), you see that weight isnt coming around as you desire, and decide to bump it another +250c/+300c from the previous base (also I am assuming macros are calculated along the way, where these can be adjusted as well).

In numerical theory, this works in reverse when trying to lose good fat tissue. Remember, we only train a small fraction in a normal week as compared to the time we are off. So diet and rest are key elements here. You take any routine and work it, but if you are eating (for example) 1,000c under maintence (and don't know it, because you are incorrectly guessing), you are not going to gain any weight no matter what you do in the gym (with the exception of miraculous newcomers to weight training who are prone to extreme adaptions from the body normally--speaking).

Memory fails, but you can utilize written numerical data (assuming its written in honesty) to make stategic personal changes in diet and training routine.

Have you set up any parimeters of your personal diet? If so, what have you "personally" configured?

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 04-04-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
strkout35
Max Brawn
Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

strkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machine

I eat in a college dining hall so it's very hard to track calories, but I stuff my face every time i'm in there. I'm thinking more about programs right now than tracking my calories since that'd be pretty hard. I do have a general idea of how much i should be eating and i weigh myself once a week and eat more if i'm not gaining.

i'll look into 5x5 routines and see what i like

_________Goals:__
Squat:______275
Deadlift:_____315
Bench:______185
Press:_______135

"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe"
strkout35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:36 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

PM me SO. Let's talk about your goals. I will get you on track.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #8
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

I am a shameless self-promoter, so unless you would rather keep established, classic workout designs as a base, why not give my 4 day shoulder focus a try?

As far as your desire to move heavy fkn weight, and not concentrate on muscle mass; the two are not mutually exclusive, most of the time at least.

I have done nothing but build great strength and muscle mass over the last year following variations of a basic 3 or 4 day body part regimen. In some cases, I was increasing the weight used on a given exercise by 2.5 kilos every 1-2 weeks!

With strength comes mass, which is required to move more weight, making you stronger. There are variations on the theme, but really it's pretty straight forward, at this point in your training.

If you were a world class athlete, say a triathlete or Aussie Iron Man or UFC fighter even, looking to reduce muscle mass / drop a weight class while maintaining strength; that's a different situation entirely. For now, if you want to lift heavy, eat LOTS. Then eat some more, and lift heavy ass weight! Simple, really.

But Vitality hits the most important issue on the head; diet, diet diet! It can sometimes need more regulation and scrutiny to get you through perceived plateaus or if you're feeling weak; diet is always key.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet

Last edited by Abaddon; 04-04-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote