Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Brian Shaw Interview for MAB! (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5717)

Trevor Lane 03-28-2011 01:41 PM

Brian Shaw Interview for MAB!

WSM runner-up and winner of the Arnold Classic pro-strongman contest, Brian Shaw, has aggreed to be interviewed by me for MAB. I of course have some questions in mind but want to know what the community would like to know about this champion. So, post questions that you have for Brian here and I will ask as many of them as possible.

Thanks

BendtheBar 03-28-2011 01:43 PM

How long was he a lifter before he transitioned to strongman, and what pulled him to the sport?

ricka182 03-28-2011 01:52 PM

Kickass Trev! Shaw is one of my favorites to watch!

What's his daily caloric total for on and off days. (if he counts)

Favorite excercise for pure overall strength, and best numbers for a non-strongman lift.(i.e., bench, deads, squats, etc, versus, farmers carry, yolk walk, etc..)

What one part of his strength does he want to improve the most?

I can't remember what it's called, but that event for squats where they just roll the next keg off the rack into a cage on the neck..how much does that suck when the keg hits?

Kickass again Trev! :march:

BendtheBar 03-28-2011 04:03 PM

Bump

Trevor Lane 03-28-2011 09:36 PM

Bump again, what do you guys wanna know?

BigTallOx 03-29-2011 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor Lane (Post 125665)
Bump again, what do you guys wanna know?

Ask him what his training currently looks like, and how it's different than a few years ago ( if it is ).

Oh yeah, tell him he's my strongman idol and I'm going to be just like him when I grow up. LOL. I'm only about 50 pounds away, hahahaha

LtL 03-29-2011 02:42 AM

Where's his favourite country to compete? What techniques does he use to psyche himself up before an event? Favourite event?

Very excited about this :rockon:

LtL

bigtim27 03-29-2011 06:21 AM

Does he have any suggestions for guys just getting into the sport and what he feels would be the proper way to start training?

BendtheBar 03-29-2011 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigtim27 (Post 125692)
Does he have any suggestions for guys just getting into the sport and what he feels would be the proper way to start training?

I was going to ask something like this...

Should guys train like a powerlifter for several years to build up overall strength before adding in strongman training, or can they add in some strongman specific training right away?

BigTallOx 03-29-2011 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 125713)
Should guys train like a powerlifter for several years to build up overall strength before adding in strongman training, or can they add in some strongman specific training right away?

For what it's worth, I know without a doubt that my pro strongman training buddy ( who put on the comp where Brian Shaw turned pro ) would say "guys should train like a powerlifter for several years..." ( that's what he, i.e. my training buddy, did ).