Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Tips for Low bar squatting please :) (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5689)

Carl1174 03-23-2011 10:09 AM

Tips for Low bar squatting please :)

I have recently lowered the bar placement on my squats from high bar to low bar as it seems easier on my knees, but they still feel a bit awkward after a couple of weeks.

It puts a bit of preasure on my wrists which i didnt have when high bar squatting and the bar feels less stable.

Is it just a case of shoulder flexibility (and doing dislocations to help with it) so that i can get my hands up over the bar and use a thumbless grip. When I take a wider grip and do that the bar feels less stable as if it could slide down my back and get trapped in my arms, plus there is less muscle squashed up under it so it digs in to the bone more...

Like i said any tips would be great.

Cheers guys (and gals)

Carl.

storm1507 03-23-2011 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl1174 (Post 124621)
I have recently lowered the bar placement on my squats from high bar to low bar as it seems easier on my knees, but they still feel a bit awkward after a couple of weeks.

It puts a bit of preasure on my wrists which i didnt have when high bar squatting and the bar feels less stable.

Is it just a case of shoulder flexibility (and doing dislocations to help with it) so that i can get my hands up over the bar and use a thumbless grip. When I take a wider grip and do that the bar feels less stable as if it could slide down my back and get trapped in my arms, plus there is less muscle squashed up under it so it digs in to the bone more...

Like i said any tips would be great.

Cheers guys (and gals)

Carl.

I switched about 6 months ago...maybe more. I haven't done reg BB squats in a few months though.

If I recall I played with the grip width etc. and found that my elbows tucked into my side and hands about 6" past shoulders was most comfortable. I seemed to adjust that often though....day to day differences. Thumbless grip and let it ride on those lower traps...it won't go anywhere.

LtL 03-23-2011 10:19 AM

I use wraps to help my wrists as no amount of shoulder stretching seems to help. Dislocates my help you though so don't stop just yet.

Chalk your upper back to stop the bar slipping. That extra grip will make you more stable.

Think consciously about using more back and hips in the lift.

Take your time when setting up more than normal. Make sure the bar is in the right place, that it's centred and balanced. Walk out slowly and set your feet and hold still before starting your set.

Lastly, and this top applies to all multi rep sets, think of your set not as 10 rep's but as 10 individual singles. They should all be identical and your form should be the same on each one. Too many get sloppy as they try to rep' too fast.

Hope that helps!

LtL

Carl1174 03-23-2011 10:27 AM

Cheers guys... My trouble is the place where my hands feel most comfortable is eactly where the rack holds the bar so I have to unrack with a closer grip then adjust the hands out and over the bar, then try to bring them in again when re-racking the bar... Its a right royal pain in the butt...

Suppose just stretching the shoulders so I can come an inch or so in with the grip will help with that though. The toehr thing that feels awkward is reracking the bar as I am leant more forward than I was with high bar squatting and it feels like I am falling into the rack if that makes sense...

Carl.

storm1507 03-23-2011 10:27 AM

Thanks Lt. I'll be bringing back squats this coming month so I need all the help I can get.

LtL 03-23-2011 10:31 AM

Carl I have a similar problem with hand width and have been doing the same as you. You'll get used to it and chalking your back will help as well.

LtL

Carl1174 03-23-2011 10:40 AM

God damn T-Rex arms :mad:

cheers Al :mh:

carl.

LtL 03-23-2011 10:41 AM

Built for benching Carl :)

LtL

BendtheBar 03-23-2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl1174 (Post 124628)
Cheers guys... My trouble is the place where my hands feel most comfortable is eactly where the rack holds the bar so I have to unrack with a closer grip then adjust the hands out and over the bar, then try to bring them in again when re-racking the bar... Its a right royal pain in the butt...

I have been through this. I either have to squat on a monolift, or squat with a buffalo bar. Both require a hardcore gym :)

Maybe time to find a new gym :mh:

LtL 03-23-2011 10:47 AM

I train at the most hardcore gym in Reading already. I just need to persuade them to get better equipment :)

LtL