Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Poll: Weight gain! (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5671)

big_swede 03-20-2011 02:28 PM

Poll: Weight gain!

Best way's to gain weight?

What supplements and food's do you prefer?

Clean or dirty eating?

LtL 03-20-2011 03:33 PM

Too many people struggle to gain weight because they panic the moment they can't see an ab'. If you're a "hardgainer" (which in my book means you just think you're eating more than you are) then you should NOT be turning down ANY food. Burgers? 2 triples please. Cookies? Eat 10. Better to have to slow down your weighgain than worry about staying small.

LtL

Szelago 03-20-2011 07:32 PM

Questions to consider when planning for a bulk:

Do you just want to gain weight or do you want it to be mostly muscle?

Do you want to maintain/improve health or do you want to clog arteries?

This is coming from a guy who reached 400 lbs, had triglycerides over 1400 (100% high) and became diabetic. There IS a wrong way to bulk.

BendtheBar 03-21-2011 07:30 AM

Bulking is generally age dependent. The younger you are the more aggressive you can be with diet. With that said, the guys I see make thew fastest gains are eating a little more rather than walking the tightrope. I am not saying eat like a pig, but far too many guys undereat.

As I mentioned to someone yesterday, eating 500 more calories per day over the course of a year isn't going to turn you into 300 pounds. You might gain 10-15 extra pounds of fat. In my opinion this is actually a good place to be in when trying to gain muscle.

Clean, dirty, whatever, go for it. We all have different ideas of dirty. But if you walk to line too clean and tight, you are expanding the amount of time it will take you to pack on muscle. Especially if you are 18-21.

I will also add that the more muscle you have, the less aggressive you should be if natural. You can't eat yourself into looking like Jay Cutler.

bigtim27 03-21-2011 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 124111)
Bulking is generally age dependent. The younger you are the more aggressive you can be with diet. With that said, the guys I see make thew fastest gains are eating a little more rather than walking the tightrope. I am not saying eat like a pig, but far too many guys undereat.

As I mentioned to someone yesterday, eating 500 more calories per day over the course of a year isn't going to turn you into 300 pounds. You might gain 10-15 extra pounds of fat. In my opinion this is actually a good place to be in when trying to gain muscle.

Clean, dirty, whatever, go for it. We all have different ideas of dirty. But if you walk to line too clean and tight, you are expanding the amount of time it will take you to pack on muscle. Especially if you are 18-21.

I will also add that the more muscle you have, the less aggressive you should be if natural. You can't eat yourself into looking like Jay Cutler.

Only with enough Celltech

BendtheBar 03-21-2011 07:35 AM

Yes, that is a caveat.

Carl1174 03-21-2011 08:10 AM

Lately I have found extra fats have helped as more than just wacking down as much protein as possible. i know if i eat too much in the way of carbs (like sugars, pastis, pastries) that kind of stuff then i just add fat.

I will only know how successful i have been though when i start cutting and see if there is anything left ;)

Carl.

big_swede 03-21-2011 03:11 PM

Bump. Good replys guys, keep it up!

I have to take it easy on the carbs for myself now approaching 30 lol

JBlack16 03-21-2011 04:21 PM

Interesting no votes for GOMAD, but definitely inspired by what LtL said, "you shouldn't be turning down any food"

jslep 03-21-2011 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LtL (Post 124035)
Too many people struggle to gain weight because they panic the moment they can't see an ab'. If you're a "hardgainer" (which in my book means you just think you're eating more than you are) then you should NOT be turning down ANY food. Burgers? 2 triples please. Cookies? Eat 10. Better to have to slow down your weighgain than worry about staying small.

LtL

^^agreed

but i feel if you fall into the catergorie of a person who is truly gonna be a bodybuilder then before you ever do your first cut you should GOMAD! There is a difference between someone who is a bodybuilder and someone who just wants to look like one. No offense to those who just want to look like one but if you are a bodybuilder you will have to take your body to a whole nother level of extremes and that will include bulking.

EAT BIG!
GAIN BIG!
GROW BIG!
BE BIG!

If you feel that cutting to the extreme is not someplace you want to take your training and the stage is something you will never step on then just go with EVERYTHING for a bulk and do a very slow and controlled cut. If you don't feel that you can ever be disciplined enough to cut that much chub then don't put it on and be happy with the gains you can make. But the other side of that is don't cry if they come to slowly. If you can't gain weight and your in Gym gains are very minimal then eat MORE........plain and simple.