Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!
Question Strength/weight loss relationship

I'm hoping this forum is a suitable one, if not please move the thread.

What are people's views on the matter of weight loss and its affect on strength...would it even necessarily affect a person's strength at all?

The reason, I decided to bring up the subject is because we see people that are lighter yet stronger which means that a heavier person can lose weight and still become as strong as the lighter person who is already stronger than they are.

Yet, at the same time, we hear that when a person loses weight they must/should automatically lose strength. We also see, through people's training log workouts that at times they have lost weight but have increased their strength.

Your views...
Old 03-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I can only speak for myself...I have yet to lose strength on a cut. But I have never ran a cut below 220.

Many bodybuilders I know hold strength until they start getting low bodyfat.

I'm not sure why some guys lose strength when on a planned cut. I know you certainly can if your cut isn't precision.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I can only speak for myself...I have yet to lose strength on a cut. But I have never ran a cut below 220.

Many bodybuilders I know hold strength until they start getting low bodyfat.

I'm not sure why some guys lose strength when on a planned cut. I know you certainly can if your cut isn't precision.
Probably should clarify a point to make the question a bit clearer...

...not so much weight loss as in a cut but more weight loss as in weight loss from a higher bodyweight to a lower one bringing a "weaker" lifter of a heavier bodyweight into the same class as a lighter but stronger lifter...but not in terms of low bodyfat levels etc.

Hope that's a bit clearer.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:36 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Well most powerlifters I have seen that have been very heavy and have dropped down have cuts fairly similar in nature to bodybuilders, meaning that protein feedings are frequent. I can't say that I've ever seen a powerlifter trying to drop weight who doesn't eat similar to bodybuilders with at least 4 protein feedings per day. I'm sure they exist...I just don't know any.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:38 PM   #5
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Strength loss isn't true loss. You muscles just stop holding as much stores due to low cal nutrition thus making you feeling weaker. When you re-feed back after a cut to maintenance or above, you will actually come back stronger and bigger because the tissue starts storing a large abundance of fuel for heavy lifts once again.

This is also why a re-feed day has been shown to be better for the tissue than a cheat day. The tissue isn't used to storing large amounts so on a cheat day a good % splashes over out side and in-between the tissue, were in a re-feed the tissue can soak up the levels without splash over.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:12 AM   #6
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I agree with what Steve and Rich have said about the nature of your diet affecting strength levels but I also believe that whether or not you lose strength has a lot to do with what stage you are at in your strength development. If you are an advanced lifter who has already refined technique and conditioned your CNS, you may well lose strength with lower calories. If, however, you a less experienced lifter you will still make gains even though you're not eating BIG simply because you could be moving the bar more smoothly or your CNS is learning to fire more efficiently. Just my two pence

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:10 AM   #7
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Thanks for the input guys!