Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Can't Deadlift - Need Help (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5532)

PaintedSoul 02-25-2011 09:22 PM

Can't Deadlift - Need Help

All

I am having a training issue and need some help/advice. I primarily do multi-joint compound movements in my workouts. The problem I have run into is that I ruptured a disk in my lower back 18 months ago and I still cant deadlift. I have tried it a few times with moderate weight and have had some issues lower back pain. I even had to take a day off last time.

Is there any lifts that I can do to replace deadlifts. I already squat twice a week and do back work at least once a week.

If there are no suggested alternatives, then is there any benefits to going light and possibly raising the amount of reps? My back can probably handle that.

I'm at a loss

Andy

BendtheBar 02-25-2011 09:57 PM

Hi Andy,

Do you workout at home, or at a commercial gym?

I'm not sure that high rep deadlift would be the best solution. Sometimes the cumulative strain from high reps can be harder on my back, but this might not be the case for you.

One possible approach is to try to do a rep or two, rest for 15 seconds, do another rep or two, etc. Getting in a volume of reps in say 5 minutes isn't the worst approach in the world.

With that said, if you are after muscle building, it's certainly acceptable not to deadlift at all, and to use friendly lower back exercises such as one arm rows, seated cable rows and pull ups.

PaintedSoul 02-26-2011 08:13 AM

BendtheBar

Thanks for the help.

I work out at a Comercial Gym, and right now I am trying to focus on getting stronger. If I build more muscle in the process I won't complain.

I will try to do a rep, then rest and see what happens.

After checking out the deadlift instructional thread, I need to check my form and make sure I am not causing my own problems. Wouldn't be the first time :).

BendtheBar 02-26-2011 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaintedSoul (Post 119228)

I will try to do a rep, then rest and see what happens.

I think that's a safe way to go. Just be careful. We don't want to see you get injured. :mh::mh::mh:

nighttrain 02-26-2011 09:09 AM

i too have lower back issues... i have found that i had to start very light and slowly work my way to the heavier stuff as my back would allow me.

good luck in your journey....

im also a huge advocate of pullups... weighted pull ups kick major a$$

ForwardMotionStruggle 02-26-2011 10:15 AM

Even though I'm not a fan of it, you can always try using a belt.
Another alternative exercise you could try are hyper extensions.

Do you happen to get chiropractic help?

PaintedSoul 02-26-2011 10:31 AM

I don't go to the chiropractor on a normal basis. I did go for a few months after I got hurt.

nighttrain 02-26-2011 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForwardMotionStruggle (Post 119245)
Even though I'm not a fan of it, you can always try using a belt.
Another alternative exercise you could try are hyper extensions.

Do you happen to get chiropractic help?

I always use a belt when deadlifting heavy, or even moderately heavy...

and do yourself a favor, get a good one not one of those nylon belt thingys...

:rockon::rockon::mh::mh:

Bodybygamma 02-27-2011 03:17 AM

Glute ham raises, hyper extensions, reverse hyper-extensions.

Db Stiff legged deadlifts with light weight is the only reps exercise variant of deadlift I would suggest.

Lots of rows & lat work,get the upper back stronger so it carries more brunt of the force from heavy weight, while hitting the hamstrings hard. If you can't train the deadlift train the main muscles that make it work.

PaintedSoul 02-27-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nighttrain (Post 119251)
I always use a belt when deadlifting heavy, or even moderately heavy...

and do yourself a favor, get a good one not one of those nylon belt thingys...

:rockon::rockon::mh::mh:

Thanks

Glad I'm not alone, I too use a belt. I havent bought one of my own yet, just use a wide leather one laying around the gym.