Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Trap Bars (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5509)

BendtheBar 02-21-2011 09:35 PM

Trap Bars
 
Wanted to see if anyone could recommend a quality trap bar?

Trained with one this weekend and I think it's time for me to make a purchase.

bamazav 02-21-2011 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 117753)
Wanted to see if anyone could recommend a quality trap bar?

Trained with one this weekend and I think it's time for me to make a purchase.

I would love the same information.

BigFiveFive 02-21-2011 11:52 PM

Let me poke around the gym and see if I can find the order info on that bar, or the brand of bar it is Steve. Ill get back to ya on that tomorrow hopefully.

Carl1174 02-22-2011 07:50 AM

Would you say TBDL are superior to standards deads, or a completely different movement ??

Carl.

BendtheBar 02-22-2011 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFiveFive (Post 117772)
Let me poke around the gym and see if I can find the order info on that bar, or the brand of bar it is Steve. Ill get back to ya on that tomorrow hopefully.

Thank Kyle

BendtheBar 02-22-2011 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl1174 (Post 117817)
Would you say TBDL are superior to standards deads, or a completely different movement ??

Carl.

I have limited experience, but my knee jerk is that they are a more natural movement. Because you are grabbing at your side, instead of grabbing to the front, it felt more mechanically sound and easier on the lower back.

Again, this is only from one training session.

5kgLifter 02-22-2011 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl1174 (Post 117817)
Would you say TBDL are superior to standards deads, or a completely different movement ??

Carl.

I have read that with the trap bar the hands are in a stronger starting position where grip is concerned; for some reason the more "neutral" (??) grip is stronger than the overhand normal grip used with a barbell...but, I've read that and not had any experience with the bar, so couldn't say for sure. In theory, that would allow for bigger lifts.

jslep 02-22-2011 10:47 AM

it is also the center of balance. you can carry or lift more weight at your sides than from in front of you because your stronger if your balance is centered when you start rather than tryin to get is centered as you lift the weight in front.

we have a guy in the gym that brings in his own trap bar on saturdays sometimes when the big boys do strong man training. it also disconnects and has other attachments to do farmers carries. obviously a custom made bar so that doesn't help steve at all.....

BendtheBar 02-22-2011 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jslep (Post 117879)
it is also the center of balance. you can carry or lift more weight at your sides than from in front of you because your stronger if your balance is centered when you start rather than tryin to get is centered as you lift the weight in front.

^ That's what I was kind of getting at but you said it better.

Isaku900 02-22-2011 12:10 PM

my high school football coach used to say "TBDL is a great way to pick up 500lbs without being particularly strong"

It is akin to a standing leg press.

Now that's not to say its not a useful lift for developing a physique, or using it as a shrug bar, but it isn't very useful for developing strength for a powerlifter.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.