Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:29 PM   #21
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslep View Post

"TBDL is a great way to pick up 500lbs without being particularly strong"
^ Regarding this statement I am pretty satisfied with my strength. I am no powerlifter, but I do have just about a 1500 raw, natural total. All documented on video. So if my 585 trap bar is considered weak, so be it.

I am comfortable with what I have accomplished in my life as a recreational, small boned lifter with poor genetics.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #22
andys_trim
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift!
Fav Supp: Any I can afford.
andys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributor

I don't mean to hi jack the thread but, I just realized what a trap bar is. We have one at my gym, what makes using a trap bar any different besides the fact that the weight is at your side. Can someone explain the advantages of using a trap bar?

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post103267 - Home of no compromising and busting ass day in and day out
andys_trim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:51 PM   #23
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys_trim View Post
I don't mean to hi jack the thread but, I just realized what a trap bar is. We have one at my gym, what makes using a trap bar any different besides the fact that the weight is at your side. Can someone explain the advantages of using a trap bar?
Well you aren't leaning as far forward, which creates a better mechanical advantage, and doesn't utilize the lower back as much.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:55 PM   #24
andys_trim
Max Brawn

andys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributor

Do they weigh 45lbs like regular bars? Is it worth giving a shot on deadlift day?

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post103267 - Home of no compromising and busting ass day in and day out
Old 02-22-2011, 03:02 PM   #25
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys_trim View Post
Do they weigh 45lbs like regular bars? Is it worth giving a shot on deadlift day?
Yes they weigh 45.

As far as adding them on back day...you could try and see how they impact your back. They are more of a squat-deadlift hybrid though.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:04 PM   #26
andys_trim
Max Brawn

I think I may try it in the future. But I want to nail 405 on a regular deadlift before trying that.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #27
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Just talked to a champion natural bodybuilder friend of mine who also uses a trap bar. He is a very strong lifter, and deadlifts nearly 3x his bodyweight. He remarked that his trap bar was about 30-40 heavier than his conventional.

A second lifter noted about a 50 pound difference.

I hope Isaku understands I'm not researching to be argumentative, but rather was curious if I was a weak freak.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 02-22-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:17 PM   #28
Isaku900
Wild Iron Gym
Uber Brawn

Training Exp: 10+
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: Big 3
Isaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslep View Post
ok first off i want to congradulate you on being one strong m'F'n sophmore! but if we go back to your other quote........

"TBDL is a great way to pick up 500lbs without being particularly strong"

..........did you not think you were pretty strong at the time you could squat mid 300's and dead 405. those lifts are strong if your 30 let alone when your 16. and you also didn't answer the question of how the movement can't be beneficial to a powerlifter. its still a compound movement that could build huge strength. a lot of strongmen use the movement and also do powerlifting. i think they probably find it beneficial. do you only do Bench, Deads, and Squats because thats the only movement done in comp? just because the grip and movement is slightly changed and you can apply better leverage does not mean the lift couldn't increase your potential in a deadlift.
no i wasn't strong with a 300s squat and a 405 deadlift. those are fairly commonplace.

a TBDL has very little applicable carryover to a deadlift, let alone a squat.

BTB: I don't think you're being argumentative.

I do think that while there are many differences of opinion that are worthwhile exploring, there are some that are not.

in your research, try to find a significant sample size of elite powerlifters that use a trap bar regularly in their training for squat or deadlift.

I think it can be a very good way to train shrugs, and isn't a bad developer for high school athletes especially since many high school coaches are unwilling (or unable) to teach a proper deadlift, but it just isn't a widely used powerlifting tool because it doesn't carryover very well, much like you will not see many powerlifters snatching and cleaning, because after a certain point there isn't a worthwhile amount of carryover to the powerlifts.

Become a fan of Wild Iron Gym on Facebook:

Last edited by Isaku900; 02-22-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Isaku900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #29
gaspers04
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

Regardless, I enjoyed lifting with this. Im no expert on this and the carry over principle, but I do believe that it is an excellent overloading tool. But then again Im just a lil fellar.

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:25 PM   #30
nighttrain
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+
nighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beast

does anyone have a picture of this "Trap Bar dohickey"??????