Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaku900 View Post

Now that's not to say its not a useful lift for developing a physique, or using it as a shrug bar, but it isn't very useful for developing strength for a powerlifter.
I'm a recreational lifter and not a powerlifter. I'm in it for the fun.

I would love to hit a 700 trap bar deadlift just for the sport of it.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 02-22-2011 at 12:23 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2011, 12:27 PM   #12
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

Quote:
my high school football coach used to say "TBDL is a great way to pick up 500lbs without being particularly strong"

It is akin to a standing leg press.

Now that's not to say its not a useful lift for developing a physique, or using it as a shrug bar, but it isn't very useful for developing strength for a powerlifter.
i don't agree at all..............

first off if you can pick 500lbs up off the ground i don't care how you do it you are one strong S.O.B.

and as far as not developing strength for a powerlifter i guess i don't get where you are coming from. wouldn't it just be a variation of a squat. the weight is just at your sides. you still need to engage the same core group of muscles. you called it a standing leg press..........isn't that what a squat is?
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:35 PM   #13
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

For what it's worth, I felt that I could have hit about 600-610 on a trap bar deadlift. My conventional deadlift is about 565-570. So it was easier by 30-40 pounds or so.

I know nothing about the carry over to conventionals, but I will say that it didn't exactly feel like a standing leg press. It felt like a deadlift with a better mechanical advantage.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:12 PM   #14
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

I'm going to ask my gym to get a trap bar...

Sorry BTB, this post does not help.... I've only seen one, and it was an old custom welded thing.. I've been wanting to try TBDLs for a while...
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #15
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricka182 View Post
I'm going to ask my gym to get a trap bar...

Sorry BTB, this post does not help.... I've only seen one, and it was an old custom welded thing.. I've been wanting to try TBDLs for a while...
No problem Ricka.

I don't mind discussing their viability in general.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:22 PM   #16
Isaku900
Wild Iron Gym
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,239, Level: 19 Points: 1,239, Level: 19 Points: 1,239, Level: 19
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 10+
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: Big 3
Isaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslep View Post
i don't agree at all..............

first off if you can pick 500lbs up off the ground i don't care how you do it you are one strong S.O.B.

and as far as not developing strength for a powerlifter i guess i don't get where you are coming from. wouldn't it just be a variation of a squat. the weight is just at your sides. you still need to engage the same core group of muscles. you called it a standing leg press..........isn't that what a squat is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
For what it's worth, I felt that I could have hit about 600-610 on a trap bar deadlift. My conventional deadlift is about 565-570. So it was easier by 30-40 pounds or so.

I know nothing about the carry over to conventionals, but I will say that it didn't exactly feel like a standing leg press. It felt like a deadlift with a better mechanical advantage.
i did a TBDL my sophomore year of high school of 550lbs, my conventional deadlift was around 405 at the time. Its not even close. My squat was even weaker at the time in the mid 300s.

Become a fan of Wild Iron Gym on Facebook:
Isaku900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:53 PM   #17
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

Quote:
i did a TBDL my sophomore year of high school of 550lbs, my conventional deadlift was around 405 at the time. Its not even close. My squat was even weaker at the time in the mid 300s.
ok first off i want to congradulate you on being one strong m'F'n sophmore! but if we go back to your other quote........

"TBDL is a great way to pick up 500lbs without being particularly strong"

..........did you not think you were pretty strong at the time you could squat mid 300's and dead 405. those lifts are strong if your 30 let alone when your 16. and you also didn't answer the question of how the movement can't be beneficial to a powerlifter. its still a compound movement that could build huge strength. a lot of strongmen use the movement and also do powerlifting. i think they probably find it beneficial. do you only do Bench, Deads, and Squats because thats the only movement done in comp? just because the grip and movement is slightly changed and you can apply better leverage does not mean the lift couldn't increase your potential in a deadlift.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:57 PM   #18
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Well there was only about a 30-40 pound difference for me.

Personally I'm not worried about it. I like the lift and am getting a trap bar.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 02-22-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #19
thumpinos
Uber Brawn
Points: 4,122, Level: 40 Points: 4,122, Level: 40 Points: 4,122, Level: 40
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

thumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good posts

I want to get a trap bar myself. Good times. I can't trap bar more than 25-50 over my deadlift max. Maybe I'm a broke dick.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #20
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
my high school football coach used to say "TBDL is a great way to pick up 500lbs without being particularly strong"

This is an asinine statement. You do not pick 500lbs up off the floor without having a certain amount of strength.

Yes, I can see how the pull is slightly different, but to say your not strong while lifting 500lbs off the floor is beyond stupid.

Quote:
REALLY??

I can see see a whole spectrum of muscles that can be worked while taking some stress of your lower back, and allowing strength building for both squats, and deadlifting.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote