Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:34 PM   #1
krafter
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

krafter is off to a bad start
Default Lifting with joint pain

Any advice on how to strength train with joint pain? I'm not talking about occasional aches and pains. I mean arthritic pain, some times so bad, I just can't stand to touch the bar. It's to the point I have to mentally try to prepare myself to do the simplest workout; somedays, walking is difficult. Iíve tried taking pain meds before working out but it doesnít work. My doc wonít give me any thing (like Celebrex) due to a slight kidney issue.

Iíve been lifting since I was 16 and Iím at the ripe old age of 52. Is this it? Time to throw in the towel? I love to lift, more so for strength but, my God, the pain!

Help! I donít wonít to quit!
krafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Certain little things like neoprene sleeves, belts, pants, etc... which keep the body and joints warm.

Horse lineaments such as blue heat or hot pink, DMSO,capsatian HP which is a human grade rub for arthritis,equiblock and absorbine are some recommended rubs.

Lots of warm ups. Supplements such as fish oil, flaxseed oil,Glucosamine (as HCl, sulfate KCl), Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM),Chondroitin Sulfate A (CSA), Chondroitin Sulfate B (CSB)

Or basically just Animal Flex by universal since it has all of the supplements you need in it already pretty much.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Do you feel pain on all lifts? Just heavy sets?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #4
Isaku900
Wild Iron Gym
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,239, Level: 19 Points: 1,239, Level: 19 Points: 1,239, Level: 19
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 10+
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: Big 3
Isaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good posts

i've also used cissus quadrangularis with a lot of success for arthritic pain.

Become a fan of Wild Iron Gym on Facebook:
Isaku900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
krafter
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

krafter is off to a bad start

Pretty much pain on all lifts, even warmups. My workouts are getting quite long since I have to mentally prep myself for all sets just to get thru them. Also, I'm doing more warmups which helps some. I love squats and deadlifts (well, I used to) but there are days where I have loaded the bar but walked away, since I know the searing pain that is coming.

In reference to the use of MSM, I have not tried this but it may be worth a shot; I'm not a big fan of supplements but at this point, Im willing to try anything.
krafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

I have arthritis in my back. I use AAEFX's Kre-Celazine. Does a great job. Plus they are adding a cream and making it a kit (Joint Rehab ). I was a tester for it and have a log on here for it, and when they bring it out I will be most defonitly using it.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:31 PM   #7
Eric Broser
Brawn
Points: 2,145, Level: 27 Points: 2,145, Level: 27 Points: 2,145, Level: 27
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Eric Broser is a lifting machineEric Broser is a lifting machineEric Broser is a lifting machineEric Broser is a lifting machineEric Broser is a lifting machineEric Broser is a lifting machineEric Broser is a lifting machineEric Broser is a lifting machineEric Broser is a lifting machineEric Broser is a lifting machineEric Broser is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knapp View Post
I have arthritis in my back. I use AAEFX's Kre-Celazine. Does a great job. Plus they are adding a cream and making it a kit (Joint Rehab ). I was a tester for it and have a log on here for it, and when they bring it out I will be most defonitly using it.
Kre Celezine works wonders for all of my aches and pains, and the topical is simply amazing! It is helping me heal a major shoulder pull right now!
-Online Trainer and Contest Prep Coach (inquire by PM)
-Creator and Pioneer of the P/RR/S and FD/FS Training Systems

www.pni-online.com
www.broserbuilt.com

www.alphamaleadvancedworkouts.com

Eric Broser is offline   Reply With Quote