Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:12 AM   #1
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!
Default Proper form or heavy weight?

What is your priority, proper form or heavy weight?
Old 02-06-2011, 06:13 AM   #2
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100

big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

This is a good question actually, when you have managed proper form and know your body and limits, weak point and so on, it is by all means ok to add lbs and go sloppy. Just play it safe.

I sometimes bounce the bar in benchpress, i do power shrugs with half rom sometimes, and my bb rows tend to get more upright when going heavy. Its the heavy weight that chocks your cns and forces your body to grow, not doing light reps standing perfectly still and focusing on "mind-muscle" and other BS.

Proper form is something you should master, but not depend on.

IMO.

=)
Old 02-06-2011, 06:16 AM   #3
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

like you said i think as long as you know the proper form and know how to 'not' use it then a bit of body english is ok to get a heavier weight up there for the last couple of reps. But for me its mainly form over weight 90% of the time. But yeh shrugs i have sometin=mes done as heavy as possible, straop myself to the bar and if it moves its a rep type of thing and it definitely helped my trap development.

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:25 AM   #4
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

For me it is both. I don't really focus on a MMC when I do shrugs, for example. They're a pretty simple movement up and down, and you'll get a lot of benefits from overloading your Traps. On squats though? Or deadlifts? Good luck even trying to complete the lift if you don't do it right.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:30 AM   #5
big_swede
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronManlet View Post
For me it is both. I don't really focus on a MMC when I do shrugs, for example. They're a pretty simple movement up and down, and you'll get a lot of benefits from overloading your Traps. On squats though? Or deadlifts? Good luck even trying to complete the lift if you don't do it right.
Right about the squat and deadlift. Those are the "dangerous" lifts and should be executed with proper form. Dipping the bar just a bit while squatting is ok imo, as long as back is arched.

The total back arch in deadlift is not a must for me as long as it is more arched than bend forward and that it stays tight.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:02 AM   #6
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
Right about the squat and deadlift. Those are the "dangerous" lifts and should be executed with proper form. Dipping the bar just a bit while squatting is ok imo, as long as back is arched.

The total back arch in deadlift is not a must for me as long as it is more arched than bend forward and that it stays tight.
Right. What I meant is that there are some exercises where a certain form must be used in order to lift any kind of heavy weight. You're never going to deadlift a lot by simply walking up to the bar and trying to heave it up without knowing how.

There are also certain things, like a back arch in a squat, that are just no-brainers. Your back can't support 500 pounds bearing down on it without flexed and tight back muscles.

On the flip side, it's not going to kill you to do a kip in one of your pull-ups at some point; or use some leg drive on a particularly heavy press. I think most intermediate/advanced lifters have enough sense to determine where and when they should or should not cheat.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:30 AM   #7
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Form, mostly. If I am doing a 10 rep set, I might fudge the form on the last 1 or 2 reps, but that's it.
Bad form = You're Doing It Wrong.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:06 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I do as many reps as possible with good form. I'd rather add clean reps than cheat a dirty rep, especially when playing with heavy weight.

With that said my rows, curls and shrugs are explosive movements which are often misunderstood as cheat movements.

One can certainly call into play some momentum on the last rep or two for certain movements, but I only recommend this for the experienced lifter. You should only break form once you have mastered form and know your own body.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #9
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I do as many reps as possible with good form. I'd rather add clean reps than cheat a dirty rep, especially when playing with heavy weight.

With that said my rows, curls and shrugs are explosive movements which are often misunderstood as cheat movements.

One can certainly call into play some momentum on the last rep or two for certain movements, but I only recommend this for the experienced lifter. You should only break form once you have mastered form and know your own body.
An explosive curl I've never seen.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
An explosive curl I've never seen.
Then I will officially welcome you to the party...

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote