Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:42 PM   #11
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombow111 View Post
I probably should append that I'm not really a competitive lifter,

No offense but then this method has no merit for Sneezy's needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamF View Post
ECA
Yes it depends on the fed, but in competitive sports this is a bad idea for several reasons, 1. If you never did it before you have no idea how it going to effect you. 2.Epederine's is dangerous and has risks associated with taking it, while effective its not worth risks for just an easy 3-5lbs water cut.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2011, 10:46 PM   #12
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn

Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Don't have much time with classes starting, but I will write a powerlifters guide for water cutting over the weekend, since I have experience with same day and day before weigh ins, as well as reading material on it.

Dieting last minute only depletes muscle strength and performance, and fat burners, diuretics,etc.. have a lot possible side effects that are unnecessary. All you need is a vinyl sauna suit, a sauna or shower to hot box yourself in, as well as bananas and pedialyte, as well as water, gatorade, and gatorade propel, so one can rehydrate.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #13
SWells_TheMachine
New Brawn
Points: 693, Level: 13 Points: 693, Level: 13 Points: 693, Level: 13
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

SWells_TheMachine is off to a good startSWells_TheMachine is off to a good startSWells_TheMachine is off to a good startSWells_TheMachine is off to a good startSWells_TheMachine is off to a good start

Hey stardust.... I have used this guide with success before

A Powerlifter’s Guide to Making Weight

If you have any questions just PM, I have followed this as well as a couple others I have saved to make weight
SWells_TheMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #14
Isaku900
Wild Iron Gym
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,239, Level: 19 Points: 1,239, Level: 19 Points: 1,239, Level: 19
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 10+
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: Big 3
Isaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good posts

for a friday afternoon weigh in, you want to start on monday, drink 3+ gallons of water and salt load with a normal diet. you want to try to retain as much water as possible and get your weight bloated up 3-5lbs. tuesday similar amounts of water and salt.
wednesday you want high salt but not as much as on monday/tuesday, still lots of water.
thursday cut the salt out completely and drink about 1 gallon of water, don't eat anything, or if you do make sure it is salt free and protein heavy. the weight of the food is more important than the calories.
check your weight thursday night, if you're very very close you can have a small (4-6oz of water) protein shake.

if you still have a few pounds to go friday morning, you can do heat sessions. 10 minutes submerged in a bathtub with hot as you can stand water. then 15 minutes with the shower running to create a steam sauna. after 25 minutes in the heat, take 5 minutes out of the bathroom to cool down a bit (to avoid stroking out) towel off all the excess water and sweat and salt standing on your skin and check weight.

you should be able to lose about 1.8-2.5lbs per hour at the beginnning, as you get drier you'll slow down your weight loss. if you get very close you can use sour candy to stimulate saliva production and spit out the last pound or so of water.

once you get off the scale after making weight officially, you need to rehydrate immediately, now since you haven't eaten for about 20 hours you'll need to be careful you don't make yourself sick.
we generally rehydrate immediately after stepping off the scale with pedialyte. 1-2 liters of pedialyte, then gatorade diluted with water (1:1).

then start eating salty foods with high carbs, you want to restore your glycogen levels and restore your body's water content to bloat back up to your normal weight to make your gear fit correctly.

good luck.
Isaku900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #15
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybygamma View Post
Dieting last minute only depletes muscle strength and performance, and fat burners, diuretics,etc.. have a lot possible side effects that are unnecessary. All you need is a vinyl sauna suit, a sauna or shower to hot box yourself in, as well as bananas and pedialyte, as well as water, gatorade, and gatorade propel, so one can rehydrate.
tony is dead on. you don't have time to mess with dieting at this point because truly if you wanted to shed simply the water weight you should have already been increasing sodium and water so you could deplete it out last week to suck you dry. your gonna have to rely on the hot box and what i did for my meet in dec was sat in it 5 days in a row at around 130 degrees losing 2-3 pounds a day instead of 10 in one or two. i needed to drop 13 lbs to get to 165 and set a deadlift PR and nearly a bench PR in comp. just remember to eat tons of bananas and gatorade after.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #16
SWells_TheMachine
New Brawn
Points: 693, Level: 13 Points: 693, Level: 13 Points: 693, Level: 13
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

SWells_TheMachine is off to a good startSWells_TheMachine is off to a good startSWells_TheMachine is off to a good startSWells_TheMachine is off to a good startSWells_TheMachine is off to a good start

Completely correct....also one of the better trick I learned from that is eating a lemon the night before the competition, works well as a diuretic to make you pee more to get another half pound out or so.
SWells_TheMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:26 AM   #17
sneezingstardust
Max Brawn
Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44

sneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributor

Would you guys suggest pedialyte or gatorade for rehydration? Does it matter that much?

http://www.fortheloveofcookies.wordpress.com

-------

"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, make them." - George Bernard Shaw

"Start wide, expand further, and never look back." -Arnold Schwarzenegger
sneezingstardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:04 AM   #18
Isaku900
Wild Iron Gym
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,239, Level: 19 Points: 1,239, Level: 19 Points: 1,239, Level: 19
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 10+
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: Big 3
Isaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezingstardust View Post
Would you guys suggest pedialyte or gatorade for rehydration? Does it matter that much?
gatorade has more sugar and therefore more a chance to make your stomach cramp and hurt, and cause...issues, which is why I recommend diluting it.

I've cut weight 14 times, pedialyte is...smoother.

Become a fan of Wild Iron Gym on Facebook:

Last edited by Isaku900; 02-15-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Isaku900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:48 PM   #19
sneezingstardust
Max Brawn
Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44

sneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaku900 View Post
gatorade has more sugar and therefore more a chance to make your stomach cramp and hurt, and cause...issues, which is why I recommend diluting it.

I suppose I will look into pedialyte then.

In your opinion, what's a reasonable amount to cut in the space of a week for a smaller female such as myself?

If it makes a difference, my carbs are already pretty low. (<40-50g most days)

http://www.fortheloveofcookies.wordpress.com

-------

"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, make them." - George Bernard Shaw

"Start wide, expand further, and never look back." -Arnold Schwarzenegger
sneezingstardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:55 PM   #20
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaku900 View Post

Agreed, Pedialyte goes down quick and easy, diluted Gatorade should be done later for further dehydration but I wouldn't do it instead of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezingstardust View Post
In your opinion, what's a reasonable amount to cut in the space of a week for a smaller female such as myself?
If you want to cut water it should be done with in ideally withing if not under a 12hour time period, exceeding no more then 24hrs. The whole point is just to hit body weight then rehydrate to original weight. Its not the same thing as dieting. Carbs don't really matter since you don't eat the day, night before cutting, its more so sodium content that you have to watch.

How to Cut Maximum Weight for Competitions with a 24-Hour Weigh In

I mean there is a list of low residue foods you can eat, I have a water cutting pdf guide off elitefts, that deals with more extreme water cutting but if its 10lbs or under, a sauna suit and a hot box is all thats really necessary.