Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:09 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default When to use advanced strength programs?

This might sound like the answer is in the question, and it probably is, but I wanted to bring up the topic anyway...

When should a lifter who is training for strength use/try/experiment with advanced programs like Sheiko, various Russian squat programs, Smolov, advanced 16 week periodization cycles, and similar programs?

Note: I am not asking this question for myself, but rather to open the floor to discussion.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: A few
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

At intermediate for their weight: Strength Standards for Men - Muscle and Brawn - Bodybuilding and Powerlifting is what I would say.
Trevor Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Lane View Post
At intermediate for their weight: Strength Standards for Men - Muscle and Brawn - Bodybuilding and Powerlifting is what I would say.
Timely post Steve.

I would say that intermediate level is the absolute bottom range for anybody thinking about utilizing some of the adanced specialty programs. Even after I had reached the intermediate level on all of those lifts I was still making good progress without resorting to specialty programs.

Another thing to consider is who wrote the particular program, and what type of strength sport was it geared for? What level of athelete was it really intended to be used by?

Some of these programs were designed to be used by Elite level professional athletes. Are you a professional elite level athelete? Do you have a coach who is watching your training, and making decisions for you, or for your team?

Some of these programs are no different than looking in the latest issue of your favorite muscle mag at what the new Mr. Olympia did for contest prep. It has absolutely no bearing on how you should be training.

A squat routine developed for a powerlifter, will have little benefit for an olympic style lifter. The two styles of lifting are so different from each other that even the type of barbell used is not always the same.

Go here and check out the equipment.

The world's most famous bar - Eleiko

Notice on the Eleikosport barbells that they have WL bars, and PL bars.

Then there is this bar.

Texas Power Bar

They are completely different from each other.

If you are not well above an intermediate level of strength, fast approaching advanced, you probably should not be worried too much about some of the
exotic programs. Just keep your head down, and keep working, you'll get there. You'll get there faster if you concentrate on where you are now, instead of where you hope to be in the future.

Last edited by glwanabe; 01-26-2011 at 01:44 PM.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

I would use the more advanced programs or cycles to improve a certain lift. This is for experienced lifters who knows their own body well and already have a strong 3 lift total, not to say that beginner lifters cant have results with this type of cycling - theres just no nead for. This is just my spontaneous thoughts on the subject.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I agree Swede.

I can't set an arbitrary set of standards when someone should try them, but I CAN say for certain that I do know when someone is mentally and physically ready to try them.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

When the Diesel Weasel tells you, your ready! lol Max has done a lot of those programs more then once, he would be the guy to ask.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Weasel power!

Old 01-26-2011, 11:02 PM   #8
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

I would concur with most of what glwanabe had to say. My bottom line is: as long as you're progressing on a beginner/intermediate protocol, there's no need to screw with things. When progress stops and plateaus even after two or three resets, then maybe its time to look into some advanced voodoo.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:57 PM   #9
BigTallOx
NAS Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 4,870, Level: 44 Points: 4,870, Level: 44 Points: 4,870, Level: 44

BigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Lane View Post
I'm not meaning to get off topic, but that says I'm almost elite for overhead pressing.... LOL, no way in H_LL! My overhead press is weak.

330 farmers 40 feet 12 seconds
545 deadlift double overhand no straps
700 pound tire, 50 feet, 30 seconds

www.bigtallox.com

"BIG sums this man up. He hasn't scratched his potential yet. With some work he will be one of the top HW masters in the US if he keeps at it." - Jay Hagadorn
BigTallOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:01 PM   #10
BigTallOx
NAS Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 4,870, Level: 44 Points: 4,870, Level: 44 Points: 4,870, Level: 44

BigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
When should a lifter who is training for strength use/try/experiment with advanced programs like Sheiko, various Russian squat programs, Smolov, advanced 16 week periodization cycles, and similar programs?
I don't know anything about any of those programs because I'm not advanced enough yet.

330 farmers 40 feet 12 seconds
545 deadlift double overhand no straps
700 pound tire, 50 feet, 30 seconds

www.bigtallox.com

"BIG sums this man up. He hasn't scratched his potential yet. With some work he will be one of the top HW masters in the US if he keeps at it." - Jay Hagadorn
BigTallOx is offline   Reply With Quote