Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   When to use advanced strength programs? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5309)

BendtheBar 01-26-2011 10:09 AM

When to use advanced strength programs?

This might sound like the answer is in the question, and it probably is, but I wanted to bring up the topic anyway...

When should a lifter who is training for strength use/try/experiment with advanced programs like Sheiko, various Russian squat programs, Smolov, advanced 16 week periodization cycles, and similar programs?

Note: I am not asking this question for myself, but rather to open the floor to discussion.

Trevor Lane 01-26-2011 10:35 AM

At intermediate for their weight: Strength Standards for Men - Muscle and Brawn - Bodybuilding and Powerlifting is what I would say.

glwanabe 01-26-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor Lane (Post 110864)
At intermediate for their weight: Strength Standards for Men - Muscle and Brawn - Bodybuilding and Powerlifting is what I would say.

Timely post Steve.

I would say that intermediate level is the absolute bottom range for anybody thinking about utilizing some of the adanced specialty programs. Even after I had reached the intermediate level on all of those lifts I was still making good progress without resorting to specialty programs.

Another thing to consider is who wrote the particular program, and what type of strength sport was it geared for? What level of athelete was it really intended to be used by?

Some of these programs were designed to be used by Elite level professional athletes. Are you a professional elite level athelete? Do you have a coach who is watching your training, and making decisions for you, or for your team?

Some of these programs are no different than looking in the latest issue of your favorite muscle mag at what the new Mr. Olympia did for contest prep. It has absolutely no bearing on how you should be training.

A squat routine developed for a powerlifter, will have little benefit for an olympic style lifter. The two styles of lifting are so different from each other that even the type of barbell used is not always the same.

Go here and check out the equipment.

The world's most famous bar - Eleiko

Notice on the Eleikosport barbells that they have WL bars, and PL bars.

Then there is this bar.

Texas Power Bar

They are completely different from each other.

If you are not well above an intermediate level of strength, fast approaching advanced, you probably should not be worried too much about some of the
exotic programs. Just keep your head down, and keep working, you'll get there. You'll get there faster if you concentrate on where you are now, instead of where you hope to be in the future.

big_swede 01-26-2011 01:43 PM

I would use the more advanced programs or cycles to improve a certain lift. This is for experienced lifters who knows their own body well and already have a strong 3 lift total, not to say that beginner lifters cant have results with this type of cycling - theres just no nead for. This is just my spontaneous thoughts on the subject.

BendtheBar 01-26-2011 02:06 PM

I agree Swede.

I can't set an arbitrary set of standards when someone should try them, but I CAN say for certain that I do know when someone is mentally and physically ready to try them.

Bodybygamma 01-26-2011 04:11 PM

When the Diesel Weasel tells you, your ready! lol Max has done a lot of those programs more then once, he would be the guy to ask.

BendtheBar 01-26-2011 04:16 PM

Weasel power!

big valsalva 01-26-2011 11:02 PM

I would concur with most of what glwanabe had to say. My bottom line is: as long as you're progressing on a beginner/intermediate protocol, there's no need to screw with things. When progress stops and plateaus even after two or three resets, then maybe its time to look into some advanced voodoo.

BigTallOx 01-27-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor Lane (Post 110864)

I'm not meaning to get off topic, but that says I'm almost elite for overhead pressing.... LOL, no way in H_LL! My overhead press is weak.

BigTallOx 01-27-2011 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 110855)
When should a lifter who is training for strength use/try/experiment with advanced programs like Sheiko, various Russian squat programs, Smolov, advanced 16 week periodization cycles, and similar programs?

I don't know anything about any of those programs because I'm not advanced enough yet.