Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:05 AM   #31
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

I am with you btb, I am just not sure if this would cause any harm to the knees or put your body out of whack when you are squatting. It would also be scary trying to get your heel up on that block with a heavy weight on your back
Old 01-26-2011, 11:21 AM   #32
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
I am with you btb, I am just not sure if this would cause any harm to the knees or put your body out of whack when you are squatting. It would also be scary trying to get your heel up on that block with a heavy weight on your back
I agree. That's one of the reasons I will never try them. I could see trying them if you didn't have to do a walkout (monolift), but squats are dangerous enough without adding an imbalance.

The only reason I let my life do them is because I am spotting her, the weight is uber light, and her flexibility is horrendous.

I wouldn't want to spot someone doing these with more than 135 unless it was in a monolift with chains to catch the weight.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #33
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

My thought is that in the future, I may give these a try with just the bar or maybe 95 pounds top to work on flexibility.

I have been focusing on powerlifting so much lately that I am losing flexibility in my hips and I would like to get back into atg squats after this competition. i think it would be good to work my legs through a full ROM for a while.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #34
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn
Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Food
Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor

I go parallel on my Back Squats, and ATG on Front Squats (which is how they're supposed to be done). Best of both worlds I say.

Last edited by Trevor Ross; 02-05-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Trevor Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #35
Oscar Zaydok
Brawn
Points: 209, Level: 4 Points: 209, Level: 4 Points: 209, Level: 4
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: Started Dec 2010
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Creatine Monohydrate
Oscar Zaydok is off to a bad start

I've got a history of back problems but have found parallel squats bother my knees and back whereas full squats make them feel good. Weightlifting shoes are on my wish list. I'm currently using work boots with a solid sole and half inch raised heel and find they help me maintain a somewhat upright posture when squatting deep compared to flat soled shoes.
Oscar Zaydok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:39 PM   #36
lou72
New Brawn
Points: 1,171, Level: 18 Points: 1,171, Level: 18 Points: 1,171, Level: 18
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

lou72 is off to a good startlou72 is off to a good startlou72 is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Ross View Post
I go parallel on my Back Squats, and ATG on Front Squats (which is how they're supposed to be done). Best of both worlds I say.
I'm a little confused. The way which are supposed to be done.

Are you only supposed to go to parallel on back squats?
lou72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #37
CoopDawg
Max Brawn
Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

No dude i go deep as hell and it feels good all throughout my legs, i mean you can go only parallel but i prefer do go deeper, plus when your hammys are restin on your calves its less knee strain
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether itís lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Heís slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #38
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou72 View Post
I'm a little confused. The way which are supposed to be done.

Are you only supposed to go to parallel on back squats?
Front Squats (which is how they're supposed to be done)

^^The bracketed part related only to the term front squats
Old 02-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #39
Legosinmyegos
Brawn
Points: 1,553, Level: 22 Points: 1,553, Level: 22 Points: 1,553, Level: 22
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Legosinmyegos has made some good postsLegosinmyegos has made some good postsLegosinmyegos has made some good postsLegosinmyegos has made some good postsLegosinmyegos has made some good postsLegosinmyegos has made some good postsLegosinmyegos has made some good postsLegosinmyegos has made some good postsLegosinmyegos has made some good postsLegosinmyegos has made some good posts

If you can keep your hamstrings tight atg squats are fine, but you will move more weight just going depth, and if you're not flexible enough you're going to round your back.

vids of my lifts
http://www.youtube.com/user/Andrew405squat?feature=mhum
Legosinmyegos is offline   Reply With Quote