Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Middle-finger DL (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5092)

5kgLifter 01-07-2011 06:08 PM

Middle-finger DL

If this isn't in the right area, please relocate it.

At BtB's behest, I'm going to see if I can get some people into middle-finger deadlifting; though some of you may already be doing them. In 2009, December, I stated I had no intentions of ever doing this lift, but since then I have lifted 25kg with the middle-finger.

So, for those of you that don't know what it is or how it's performed, here's a good vid:

BendtheBar 01-07-2011 06:42 PM

This forum works perfectly.

Any minimum restrictions on how high the lift must be?

5kgLifter 01-07-2011 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 104739)
This forum works perfectly.

Any minimum restrictions on how high the lift must be?

Nope, clearance of floor is all that's required and you'll understand why, since holding the lift for a long time can really pull on the joint; the guy has the distance perfectly worked, just low enough (the rigging, when taut) for him to have to bend slightly, and the weights just clearing the floor by about 4" or so when the arm is at full extension with him standing upright.

When I use the cloth bag, or used to, which was the only way I could get the 25kg together, I had to stand on the stepper because otherwise I had no room to bend; mainly this was because the handles came too high up for a short person like me, so instead I did a sort of deficit DL but it worked and gave me 5" clearance from the floor when standing upright.

The lift shouldn't be pulled through the full range, as in not from as far down as the normal DL, that will just be far too much strain. And,as soon as you cleared the floor with this lift, get the weight-load back to the floor, under control, asap.

BendtheBar 01-07-2011 06:54 PM

I might rig up an old bed sheet into a grip loop and secure it to the spin-lock at one end of a dumbbell and give it a shot this weekend.

5kgLifter 01-07-2011 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 104749)
I might rig up an old bed sheet into a grip loop and secure it to the spin-lock at one end of a dumbbell and give it a shot this weekend.

That might work, plenty of padding there. A lot of what can be lifted comes down to the padding, or the ring, that's used for the lift and how much strain a person can tolerate; the rest of the lift is purely a case of thinking of the arm as a crane with the finger being the hook, they play no part other than that.

Arm straight, stand upright; all in the body movement.

Abaddon 01-07-2011 10:51 PM

...thought this was going to be ruder

Rich Knapp 01-07-2011 11:01 PM

I wish there was a way i could get in on this.

I'll figure something out.

thumpinos 01-08-2011 10:04 AM

I might give this a try. Can I use a lifting strap?

5kgLifter 01-08-2011 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumpinos (Post 104950)
I might give this a try. Can I use a lifting strap?

If you mean use it for assistance as in a normal DL situation; then the answer is no.

If you mean, use the strap as the lifting rigging, without getting any "assistance" in terms of strength from it, then yes.

The only part to take all the strain and have contact with the bar/rigging is the middle-finger, no other assistance permitted. Weight belt, on the other hand, that's fine.

5kgLifter 01-12-2011 04:10 PM

Anybody? :)