Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:33 AM   #21
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member
Default Well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
The problem is that people ask too many questions and become handicapped by overthinking things. Let the principals guide you. Here is what I am talking about:

Eat more over a period of time.

Q. But how much? How many grams of protein per lb? Should I do carb back-loading, carb cycling, Warrior, Paleo, or the Anabolic Diet?What about nutrient timing? Supplements??? Will I lose my six pack? I don't want to get fat. Now Im confused.

Lift more over period of time.

Q. You mean like 5/3/1? How much should I add each week, how much rest between sets, reps, sets, tempo, circadian rhythms, and most importantly the lunar cycle?? What do I do when I plateau? How long should I wait between testing my max?

Rest, grow.

Q. How much rest? Do I need 72 hrs between workouts? Or are you talking about rest between sets? If I rest too much will I become undertrained? What about not enough rest will I become overtrained?

Too many questions and not enough doing. Again the most important question should be do I have the right attitude, commitment, and work ethic. These kind of questions are hard for most people to face because they want maximum results with minimal effort and the answer is usually "not really". If that is your mindset you have lost the battle and will go nowhere.

Sorry to hijack but I think the above is very relevant to the original thought of this thread.
Well said Ehubbs.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2011, 04:39 AM   #22
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

I just like the 5/3/1 progression guideline for repetitions, primarily because it is a simplified variant of the Prilepin chart. As far as training split, assistance exercises, etc... I just make sure its useful to my goals. Problem is most people asking the questions don't do any of the research them-self and are just inept of learning ability.

Most people should read starting strength, not for the bill starr 5x5 variant programing or what not but so they know how to actually perform a lift properly.Other then actually learning how to perform a lift some what correctly the rest is really simple:

STFU,SFW, eat, rest, repeat.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:45 AM   #23
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I can't even count to 5 3 1.
5, 3,.....um...a.....D@mn! LoL

Enjoying the rant of over analyzing! Cant comment on 531, haven't really read through it all. I like to lift heavy with each of the Big3 at least once a week with on rep/light day for the bench, eat and sleep. That is all.

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:20 PM   #24
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybygamma View Post
I just like the 5/3/1 progression guideline for repetitions, primarily because it is a simplified variant of the Prilepin chart. As far as training split, assistance exercises, etc... I just make sure its useful to my goals. Problem is most people asking the questions don't do any of the research them-self and are just inept of learning ability.

Most people should read starting strength, not for the bill starr 5x5 variant programing or what not but so they know how to actually perform a lift properly.Other then actually learning how to perform a lift some what correctly the rest is really simple:

STFU,SFW, eat, rest, repeat.
Entire post is good, especially the part in red. Kinda sums up the lifting experience for me.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:22 PM   #25
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspers04 View Post
5, 3,.....um...a.....D@mn! LoL

Enjoying the rant of over analyzing! Cant comment on 531, haven't really read through it all. I like to lift heavy with each of the Big3 at least once a week with on rep/light day for the bench, eat and sleep. That is all.
You will get big and strong.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:31 PM   #26
gaspers04
Max Brawn

gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

I like simplicity.

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #27
MMA Max
Max Brawn
Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

MMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributor

I don't even know what 5/3/1 is, I know West Side and I know lift heavy weight till your elbows explode and small babies die..Eat shit loads of food..Then lift more heavy weight till your eyes bleed and you crap thunder...

" Deutscher Stolz weltweit "

Violence. It may not be the answer, But it sure cuts down on the questions!

MMA Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:34 PM   #28
gaspers04
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMA Max View Post
I don't even know what 5/3/1 is, I know West Side and I know lift heavy weight till your elbows explode and small babies die..Eat shit loads of food..Then lift more heavy weight till your eyes bleed and you crap thunder...
Simplicity.

Crap thunder eh? Now that you mentioned it, chili sounds good...lol

Supplements
Old 01-17-2011, 07:41 PM   #29
MMA Max
Max Brawn
Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

MMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributor

Word! Super set this, Max that, Rep this, eat that, Stick finger up arse and sniff..It's all wild..Just lift..And then lift more and finally eat and sleep..

I know some fool at my gym who doesnt even know what a named program is..

His Benches Heavy, He squats Heavy and Deads Heavy..His complimented lifts are

Chest Dips
Pull Ups
Leg Press
HyperExtentions

Thats it- He eats ass loads of food and Sleeps..And he is massive, If you asked him hey do you know Chaos And Pain, Rip Toe, West Side, 5/3/1 program he would say..No..What the hell is that crap. lol

" Deutscher Stolz weltweit "

Violence. It may not be the answer, But it sure cuts down on the questions!

MMA Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:48 PM   #30
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Did someone say crap?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote