Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default How to get Strong as Hell

How To Increase Your Bench Press By 200% | Muscle & Strength

Quote:
If youíre coming from a bodybuilding background, like I did, this one might take the most getting used to. But letís face itóthereís nothing isolation movements can do that heavy, compound movements canít do better. Even if all you want is bigger biceps.

Standing still as a board and robotically doing 25lb hammer curls after youíve been training for 3 years isnít going to get you any stronger or bigger. Actually, itís the fastest way to stay the same. Thatís what Ďgoing through the motions' is, right?

When I started training heavy compounds, my growth exploded. And I still didnít even know what I was doing yet.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Thats a great quote and i couldnt agree moore.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:50 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

A good article overall. The guy went from string bean to machine eating and lifting heavy ass weight.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Attached Thumbnails
steve-approved.jpg  

Old 01-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

^hilarious. I want one.
But in all seriousness, the stuff I've read in the last year has reinforced the experiences I had when training in 2001/02. Namely (and as Big55 has put it on one occasion) "Big arms start with big legs". I would add to this chest, back and everything else!

My upper body was stuck in a plateau for months before I started a dedicated leg routine: even squatting half-assed like I did brought real gains!

After just one month, people I trained with semi-regularly started commenting on the size gains I'd made!

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:08 PM   #6
Spartigus
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

Over the last maybe year I too have learned the value of big compounds!! I knew they were important, but more and more I am finding out that there is nothing they cant do! I just got my hands on Starting Strength Vol 2 by Mark Rippetoe, and the first like 10 pages basically say that nothing well ever beat big compounds!

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training Ė and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote