Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast
Default Janda Situps

Who does these? And who knows anything about them?

Here is my knowledge from reading bullet proof abs by pavel:

These are awesome, basic idea is that when you flex your hamstrings you cause your hip flexors and other muscles to relax so you really hit the transverse abdominals which are the six pack muscles.

I have been doing these a little bit in my basement using a band set up. Pavel sells a simple piece of equipment but here is my set up. I put a mini band about half way up a pole in my basement and then put my legs through it. I then force my legs down by flexing my hammies and getting my feet flat on the floor. While keeping this tension, I then do a sit up.

These are incredibly hard and if you have never done them you will probably will not be able to do one. So I also place a band higher up on the pole and use it for assistance. These look and sound simple, but they will crush you.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:31 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Video for reference:

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #3
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post

These are awesome, basic idea is that when you flex your hamstrings you cause your hip flexors and other muscles to relax so you really hit the transverse abdominals which are the six pack muscles.

I have been doing these a little bit in my basement using a band set up. Pavel sells a simple piece of equipment but here is my set up. I put a mini band about half way up a pole in my basement and then put my legs through it. I then force my legs down by flexing my hammies and getting my feet flat on the floor. While keeping this tension, I then do a sit up.

These are incredibly hard and if you have never done them you will probably will not be able to do one. So I also place a band higher up on the pole and use it for assistance. These look and sound simple, but they will crush you.
Though my back usually can't handle situps. I would love to see this set up you describe. Can you post a pic?

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Yes, I will get a picture up in the next few days. It is a very simple set up

Also, if done correctly there should be no stress on your lower back
Old 01-03-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post

Here's a youtube vid about them, for those that haven't seen them:

There is a technique in which you can use a medicine ball as well, meaning there is no need for the Pavelizer which I believe is expensive for what it is anyway. They do work, I have done them in the past, and they are effective; not that I do a whole lot of direct abs training, msotly because I find abs work boring.