Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Janda Situps (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5028)

jwood 01-03-2011 11:20 AM

Janda Situps

Who does these? And who knows anything about them?

Here is my knowledge from reading bullet proof abs by pavel:

These are awesome, basic idea is that when you flex your hamstrings you cause your hip flexors and other muscles to relax so you really hit the transverse abdominals which are the six pack muscles.

I have been doing these a little bit in my basement using a band set up. Pavel sells a simple piece of equipment but here is my set up. I put a mini band about half way up a pole in my basement and then put my legs through it. I then force my legs down by flexing my hammies and getting my feet flat on the floor. While keeping this tension, I then do a sit up.

These are incredibly hard and if you have never done them you will probably will not be able to do one. So I also place a band higher up on the pole and use it for assistance. These look and sound simple, but they will crush you.

BendtheBar 01-03-2011 11:31 AM

Video for reference:

bamazav 01-03-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwood (Post 103154)

These are awesome, basic idea is that when you flex your hamstrings you cause your hip flexors and other muscles to relax so you really hit the transverse abdominals which are the six pack muscles.

I have been doing these a little bit in my basement using a band set up. Pavel sells a simple piece of equipment but here is my set up. I put a mini band about half way up a pole in my basement and then put my legs through it. I then force my legs down by flexing my hammies and getting my feet flat on the floor. While keeping this tension, I then do a sit up.

These are incredibly hard and if you have never done them you will probably will not be able to do one. So I also place a band higher up on the pole and use it for assistance. These look and sound simple, but they will crush you.

Though my back usually can't handle situps. I would love to see this set up you describe. Can you post a pic?

jwood 01-03-2011 11:49 AM

Yes, I will get a picture up in the next few days. It is a very simple set up

Also, if done correctly there should be no stress on your lower back

5kgLifter 01-03-2011 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwood (Post 103154)

Here's a youtube vid about them, for those that haven't seen them:

There is a technique in which you can use a medicine ball as well, meaning there is no need for the Pavelizer which I believe is expensive for what it is anyway. They do work, I have done them in the past, and they are effective; not that I do a whole lot of direct abs training, msotly because I find abs work boring.