Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:11 AM   #1
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member
Default Pick one. Squat or Deadlift

You can do only one lift for the next year of your life. You can't change your mind once you have choosen. Which do you choose, and why?

A. Squat
B. Deadlift

Think about your answer, and try to explain why you have choosen the way that you have.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2010, 07:36 AM   #2
glwanabe
Max Brawn

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

For myself, I ended up at deadlifting.

Even though the range of motion through the legs is less than squatting, I would still develop quad, and posterior chain strength. While squatting would also lead to upper body mass due to total body loads carried, the deadlift would more directly hit and promote growth, both in my back and core.

Chest would also be hit more with deads due to the load carried by the arms, and the pecs being under strain holding the bar at lockout.

An aspect that I considered was this. I would be able to regain any lost ground in the full squat sooner after concentrating mainly on deads, than if the role were reversed. It would take much longer to regain deadlift strength if the move were not done.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:27 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Hard question. I dread squats more. At least heavy squats. Warming up takes longer, and the lift feels harder for me.

But if I had to choose. I would choose:

Squats

Squats are my go to leg exercise. I need them. Deadlifts...I feel I could do rows and shrugs and a pullup variation and live without them if need be. That's really what it comes down to for me.

In addition, I am more leg obsessed.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
MikeC
Uber Brawn
Points: 5,424, Level: 47 Points: 5,424, Level: 47 Points: 5,424, Level: 47

MikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributor

Deadlift all the way. I feel pound for pound they add the most muscle.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:22 AM   #5
Fcat611
Brawn
Points: 1,879, Level: 25 Points: 1,879, Level: 25 Points: 1,879, Level: 25
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Fcat611 is off to a bad start

i would pick neither if I had too.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:32 AM   #6
glwanabe
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fcat611 View Post
That was not the question. You will do one or the other. This is the only movement you will perform.

Pick a position, and state why.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:36 AM   #7
Fcat611
Brawn
Points: 1,879, Level: 25 Points: 1,879, Level: 25 Points: 1,879, Level: 25

Fcat611 is off to a bad start

can i do smit squat?
Old 12-20-2010, 11:16 AM   #8
glwanabe
Max Brawn

Quote:
can i do smit squat?
Only if you still ride a bike with training wheels. Otherwise, use an adult set of weights.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:24 PM   #9
CoopDawg
Max Brawn
Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
lol if you picked neither u would also be picking no muscle
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether itís lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Heís slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:25 PM   #10
CoopDawg
Max Brawn
Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

Deadlift alll the way, hold 300 pounds at ur waist and see how many muscles strain to keep it close to the body, enough said
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether itís lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Heís slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote