Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:55 PM   #11
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

this helps a lot bud, I think this would be great for me also because my biggest complaint about 5/3/1 is that I do not get enough volume on my main lifts.

This is an awesome system and I will keep it in mind. Looks hardcore and I like that!
Old 12-27-2010, 03:02 AM   #12
thebrute
Brawn
Points: 1,276, Level: 19 Points: 1,276, Level: 19 Points: 1,276, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

thebrute has made some good poststhebrute has made some good poststhebrute has made some good poststhebrute has made some good poststhebrute has made some good poststhebrute has made some good poststhebrute has made some good poststhebrute has made some good poststhebrute has made some good poststhebrute has made some good poststhebrute has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
this helps a lot bud, I think this would be great for me also because my biggest complaint about 5/3/1 is that I do not get enough volume on my main lifts.

This is an awesome system and I will keep it in mind. Looks hardcore and I like that!
that's one of the issues i had with it too but i still liked the concept of it improving raw strength...
TB
I am my suffering. I am pure rage incarnate. I know no fear. I am my pain. All I have is my hunger. I bleed. I sweat. I eat the weak. I intimidate the strong. I am never satisfied for I am MY nemesis. I am thy CANNIBAL...let thy roar of rage either motivate or scare the shit out of you.

www.chaos513.com
powered by proteinfactory, usplabs & firebreather athletics
proteinfactory.com
usplabsdirect.com
firebreatherathletics.com
thebrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:43 AM   #13
thebrute
Brawn

thebrute has made some good poststhebrute has made some good poststhebrute has made some good poststhebrute has made some good poststhebrute has made some good poststhebrute has made some good poststhebrute has made some good poststhebrute has made some good poststhebrute has made some good poststhebrute has made some good poststhebrute has made some good posts

i know a lot of people can't stand 531 including me cause i'm used to high volume work...thats what i set out to create this bastardized version of it to see if its working...and it is...
TB
I am my suffering. I am pure rage incarnate. I know no fear. I am my pain. All I have is my hunger. I bleed. I sweat. I eat the weak. I intimidate the strong. I am never satisfied for I am MY nemesis. I am thy CANNIBAL...let thy roar of rage either motivate or scare the shit out of you.

www.chaos513.com
proteinfactory.com
usplabsdirect.com
Old 02-04-2011, 01:45 AM   #14
thebrute
Brawn

UPDATED 12/22/10
***added a new method tonite while busting my ass...

- suicide juggle
you perform a set of one rep and then rest for 10 seconds and then perform another set of 3 and then rest another 10 sec. 3rd set, 2 reps and rest 10, and 4th set perform 5 reps. i've done this tonite on inclines dbs, cg floor presses, and military rack presses and they were awesome. after the 4 sets, perform an allout 15 REST PAUSE reps.

UPDATED 1/5/11
***added new method that i will try out tonite
- overkill method
you perform a set of 6-12 reps to failure. then after that you perform 3 sets of 5 with 10-15 sec rest between sets with either the same weight as the repout or 5-10 more. then on the VERY last set...perform another repout of 6-8 REST PAUSE reps with the same weight as the weight used for 3x5 or 5-10 less. so it would look like this for incline db bench presses:
130x10 135x5-135x5-135x5 125x8RP

UPDATED 1/12/11
***added new method
- overkill method 2
you perform a repout as many reps as you can. then after some rest, perform 5 sets of 5 with a weight heavier than what you performed your repouts at with a 20-25 sec rest. so it would look like this:
db shoulder presses
100x20 120x5-120x5-120x5-125x5-125x5

UPDATED 1/14/11
STRENGTH SPECIALIZATION CYCLE

this cycle is geared towards band work and strength specialization. its taking 3 movements...each specializing in the big 3 in some way. the following can be used:

SQUAT:
box squats( using various heights depending on what needs to be focused on)
front squats
front box squats

BENCH:
pin presses
floor presses

DEADS:
deficit deads
rack pulls

the cycle for this is 3 weeks and can be done for 1-2 rotations. still following a 5-1-3 format but in this manner

WEEK 1- 5RM
WEEK 2- 1RM
WEEK 3- 3RM

then after you work up to the suggested RM, then you perform the following on either the squat, bench, or deads without bands and without the specialized movement

WEEK 1- 1x5+ 1x5
WEEK 2- 1x1+ 1x3
WEEK 3- 1x3+ 1x3

as for what numbers to use, refer to the 531 template. the repout sets and the 2nd set following that(which on 531 is the 1st set) are done. this is to RESTABILIZE after doin band work. you may want to do a set or two to ADJUST to the straight weight and let your body get used to it and then perform the following two sets. i'll be experimenting with this in two weeks...
TB

www.chaos513.com
proteinfactory.com
usplabsdirect.com
Old 02-04-2011, 02:27 AM   #15
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Very interesting reading Brute - your chaos method is certainly novel.
I am an amateur, so don't take offence at my following question:
You do state that the premise of this training method is to 'confuse' the muscle. But based on my reading, muscle confusion is broscience; it doesn't happen.

Could you maybe talk more on this?

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:05 AM   #16
thebrute
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
Very interesting reading Brute - your chaos method is certainly novel.
I am an amateur, so don't take offence at my following question:
You do state that the premise of this training method is to 'confuse' the muscle. But based on my reading, muscle confusion is broscience; it doesn't happen.

Could you maybe talk more on this?
sure thing but don't take offense on what i'm goin to say...

let me ask u somethin..have u tried it yourself?

muscle confusion ISN'T "broscience" as u called it(don't know what that is..)but the method of training that i use is based off not what someone told me thru a book(although some ideas were inspired)...its based off of "trial and error" and pure logic. the body gets used to one thing over time hence when 90% of gymrats do the same thing and expect the same result everytime, why? cause it worked the first time. think about it. how is it when a lifter gets on a bench program first time and they get 30-40lb increase on their bench but not the 2nd time they do it? simple. adaptation. your body was introduced to new stress and it was forced to adapt and adjust....when they do it again, its already used to what ur doin so it has no reason to adapt and adjust. i've tried this on myself and its worked over the years and i've tried it on others...its also worked.

when u change things up on a regular basis, the body can't adjust and it's forced to adapt and grow as a result in an effort to adjust. this is what i've seen over the years happen to me as well as anyone who have taken just a few of my suggestions about their training and watch it work. hell just "juggling" a few sets during a session can make a big difference...why? cause it shocks the body with the unexpected. that's what u have to do. westside barbell followed this concept for years when they rotate movements out every 2-4 weeks and again, when i did their template my numbers increased every time, why? things were constantly being changed up as their program required it which is why a lot of powerlifters use it today to constantly get stronger for competitions. when i attempted the idea of "chaos513" i saw immediate increases in my lifts weekly while my training partners were doin the same thing weekly and were staggering just to get a PR.

changing things up can be as simple as this:

- changing up how u do the lift(ie instead of doin bench- do pin presses or floor presses) creating a rotation if u want
- changing up the amount of weight ur usin(instead of working up to a max with 405...do 3 sets of 10 with 315)
- changing up the reps u do each set and/or rest periods(instead of doin 8-10, do 6-8 and maybe following it up with a repout set or keepin the reps the same but shortening the rest periods from 1 min to 30 sec)
- juggling the reps(ie. 1x6; 1x10; 1x8; 1x12)
- juggling the weight used on each set (1x315; 1x365; 1x335; 1x405; 1x350)
- or the combination of the above

i know some of what i said won't make sense because i don't quote what someone said in a book or what i read in a magazine. i had a friend that would debate my methods because of what he read vs what i have done or doin for real in the gym. what i do sometimes is drop the damn book and just try crazy ideas that sometimes work and sometimes don't. your body is a chemistry set and u have to play with it and i'm always comin up with more and more ideas in the gym that might contribute to greater strength and size gains.

i'm not saying don't read and follow what someone or what a book says, they have great ideas but to me it places limits on a lifter. what i do really doesn't have any limits. what i express here are just ideas and ways to go about them but from my experience in the gym, muscle confusion does happen and its a forgotten concept. when u try it, you'll see for yourself.

i hope this answers your question.
TB

www.chaos513.com